Official CyanogenMod 11 Nightlies builds are now available for the Galaxy S3 model number I9305, the LTE smartphone. Use this entire post in order to learn how to successfully update your device without bricking it.
The CM 11 Nightly builds are the first custom KitKat ROMs to be released officially by the CyanogenMod team. It brings all the stock features to your phone along with multiple other CyanogenMod-based ones. More info about this release can be found at the CM team web site here. Read the guidelines listed below before starting the installation of this new ROM, so that you will learn how to correctly setup your device:
- use this guide only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE model number I9305.
- your phone has to be rooted and running the latest build of CWM Recovery image, as otherwise you cannot complete the installation.
- use this tutorial only if you’re an advanced Android user who wants to tinker with their phone’s operating system.
- ‘factory reset’ is required for this new ROM to install correctly.
– ‘factory reset’ wipes all data stored on your device’s system partition.
– internal nor external storage won’t be affected by the ‘factory reset’
> ‘factory reset’ step can be skipped only in case you’re coming from CM 10.2 stable or from any other previous CM 11 Nightly builds.
> in case you skip ‘factory reset’ and the phone doesn’t boot with the new ROM, then you will be forced to return to the tutorial and apply the data wipe process.
- it is highly important for you to create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM, so that you will setup a restore point for your device.
– this file can be used in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode or you find it to run slow.
- backup data from installed applications, SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: Helium | SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- sync all the Contacts details and People info with your default Gmail account.
– if you don’t know how to do it, then you can find more info here.
- enable the USB Debugging option from Developer Options.
– if the Developer Options menu is not listed under Settings, then you need to go to ‘About phone’, scroll down to ‘build number’ section and press seven times on it. Developer Options will now be activated and appear in the Settings menu.
- read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and make sure that you won’t skip any important steps in the process.
- check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, so that the device won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
– if the phone powers off while you’re flashing the new files, then you will be forced to repeat the entire guide more than once.
- note that we cannot be held responsible in case you brick the device or loose any important data in the process.
- if you can’t complete the guide, then it would be best for you to ask for any extra help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this article and learn how to update your device with a brand new and popular KitKat custom ROM.
Remember not to skip any steps.
How to install Official CM 11 Nightly Android 4.4 ROM for Galaxy S3 LTE I9305:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
– make sure to download the latest build of CM 11 Nightly and not some old ones.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4 custom ROMs from here.
- After the files are downloaded you need to connect your phone to your PC, then move both zip files to its internal storage.
– when you transfer the files successfully, disconnect your phone computer.
– don’t unzip the contents of the archived files.
- Power off your Galaxy S3 now.
- Boot the device in CWM Recovery Mode now.
> if you don’t know how to do it, learn here.
> note that TWRP might also work, but whichever custom Recovery you want to use, you need to make sure that it has to be updated to its latest version.
- When you’re at the main CWM Recovery menu you need to create the full NANROID Backup for the installed ROM:
– select ‘backup and restore’, then name the files and confirm the process.
> do not skip this step.
- Next, apply the ‘factory reset’:
– select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm the process.
> do not skip the step, unless your device already sports a previous build of CM 11 Nightly.
> if you skip the step and the phone doesn’t boot, then you will be forced to repeat the entire guide more than once.
- Now that you’ve reached this point you can finally install the CM 11 Nightly ROM:
– select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’, find the custom ROM zip.
– confirm the installation and don’t press any buttons until the process is complete.
- Now, select once again ‘choose zip from sdcard’, find the Gapps for KK ROMs and confirm its insallation.
- When both files are installed, get back to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your Galaxy S3 LTE in normal mode now.
– note that the first boot process of this new ROM will take several minutes to load, so you shouldn’t press any buttons until you see the home screen.
- Enter your Google Account or CyanogenMod profile details in order to take control over your device.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully update your Galaxy S3 LTE to Android 4.4 via CM 11 Nightly ROM.
NOTE: If the first boot process takes more than ten minutes to load, the phone has blocked at the Samsung boot animation or it has entered into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- if you do decide to repeat the guide, then you should make sure not to skip any steps that I’ve listed above.
- make sure to apply ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- also, it would be best for you to apply the ‘format /system’ option too.
In case you can’t complete the guide, then you can ask for more help in comments.
If you don’t like how CM 11 Nightly works with your Galaxy S3 LTE, then you can always choose to restore the device to its previous ROM by using the NANDROID ROM Backup file created in step 6.