The Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 has finally received its own variant of CM 10.2 Nightly and now you can get a taste of the Android 4.3 ROM before the official release. Use this tutorial and you will learn how to successfully flash this custom ROM on your smartphone without bricking it.
The CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly builds have been released from some time and now you can flash one for your Verizon Galaxy S3. As you already know, the CM 10.2 is built on the AOSP Android 4.3, which means that you will get tons of new features that have been release with this new Jelly Bean build. Also, the CM team has worked hard on this release and you will find tons of other features designed by them.
In order to successfully flash this new custom ROM for your device, you will first need to take a look at the guidelines below:
- Use this ‘how-to’ guide with the Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy S3.
- Do not try to flash the files you find in this post on any other devices or smartphones. If you try to install the files you find here on any other Android devices, then you will end up bricking them.
- Your Verizon SGS3 has to be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery image like CWM or TWRP.
- Both TWRP and CWM Recoveries will work with this tutorial.
- The ‘how-to’ part of this post will tell you to wipe data and factory reset the phone for a clean installation of the latest CM 10.2 Nightly build.
– NOTE: in case your device already runs on a previous build of CM 10.2 Nightly then you can skip the ‘factory reset’ and flash the new build over the old one.
- Make sure to create a full NANDROID Backup of your currently installed ROM. This step is listed in the tutorial and creating such backup will set a restore point for your smartphone, a restore point that you can use in case something goes wrong with the installation.
- The ‘factory reset’ removes all contents from the system partition. This means that all installed apps data, SMS, contacts, call logs and other similar data will be removed from your device.
- If you want to backup installed applications data then you can either use Helium app from Google Play Store here or the Titanium Backup tool here. Note that the Titanium Backup utility will not work correctly with CM 10.2 ROMs.
- To backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings use the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access will be needed for some of these tools.
- Also, remember to sync your Contacts info with your Gmail account so that you won’t lose any saved phone numbers.
- Enable the USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Check the phone’s battery before starting the update. Make sure that the power levels are over 50% so that it won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- This tutorial is for advanced users. Do not blame us if you brick the phone or you lose any important data in the process.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this post and learn how to flash a custom CM 10.2 Nightly ROM on your smartphone.
How to install CM 10.2 Nightly ROM on Verizon Galaxy S3:
- Download CM 10.2 Nightly ROM from here.
– get the latest ROM build.
– do not unzip the file.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
– this is the file that you need to flash in order to install all Google-based applications for your device.
– do not extract the contents of this file.
- Use the USB Cable and connect your device with your PC.
- Move both zip files to your Galaxy S3 internal SDcard. When the files are copied, disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off the device and then boot it into Custom Recovery Mode.
> both CWM and TWRP will work with this tutorial.
- First thing that you have to do is to create a NANDROID Backup of your currently installed ROM:
– CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’ option, then press Backup. Create the NANDROID Backup of your currently installed ROM.
– TWRP Recovery: press Backup, then select the system files you wish to save. Confirm the process.
> this sets a restore point for your device and you can use it in case the new ROM doesn’t install with success.
- Now you need to apply the ‘factory reset’ for your device:
– CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm the process.
– TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
> if your phone already runs on a previous CM 10.2 Nightly, then you can skip this step and continue with the rest of the instructions.
> in case you skip this step and your phone doesn’t boot into normal mode, then you will be forced to return to this step and apply factory reset.
- Since you’ve completed all of the above, you need to install the CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM on your smartphone:
– CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Browse your phone’s internal storage for the CM 10.2 Nightly zip. Confirm the installation.
– TWRP Recovery: press Install. Find the CM 10.2 Nightly zip and confirm that you wish to install it by sliding the blue button at the bottom of the screen.
> don’t press any buttons during the install process.
- After the ROM is flashed with success you should use step 8 actions in order to install the Gapps file too.
- When both files have been installed with success, return to the main CWM / TWRP Recovery screen. Reboot your smartphone now.
The first boot process of this new CM 10.2 Nightly might take several minutes to complete, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until the home screen appears.
- Enter your Google Account details and take control over your device once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to update your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 with CM 10.2 Nightly ROM. In case you have any problems during the installation or you have other questions regarding this new ROM, then you can leave a detailed comment at the end of this post.