The official CM 11 Nightlies based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat are now live for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 smartphone.
Use this guide if you want to successfully learn how to install this new custom ROM build for your device. CM 11 Nightlies have reached the Android 4.4.4 builds, but note that these builds aren’t stable and you might find errors or bugs during installation. Read the guidelines below before starting the updating process:
- use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 model number N7100.
– don’t try to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this article.
– check the model number of your device under Settings > About Device menu, if the N7100 version is not listed then you will need to close this tutorial.
- your Note 2 N7100 device has to be rooted and running the latest custom Recovery image.
– it supports both CWM and TWRP Recovery images.
- in the how-to part of this post you will find two extra steps: create a NANDROID Backup for the already installed ROM and the one that tells you to apply a ‘factory reset’.
– do not skip any steps that I’ve listed in the tutorial if you want to successfully update your device with a brand new custom ROM.
– note that the latest CM 11 Nightlies build can be flashed over older CM 11 builds without you being forced to apply a ‘Factory Reset’ step.
– if you skip Factory Reset, but the phone isn’t loading the normal mode of the latest CM 11 Nightly, then you will be forced to repeat the guide and apply Factory Reset along with the ‘format /system’ option.
- read the entire tutorial before starting installation.
- if you apply ‘factory reset’, then you will be forced to save some data from your favorite installed applications – use the Helium tool for Android.
- sync all your Contacts and People info with your default Gmail account.
– if you don’t know how to do it, then you can choose to use our guide here.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options in case you’re planning to download the ROM files to your computer and moving them to your smartphone afterwards.
- note that we cannot be held responsible in case you brick the phone nor in case you end up losing any important data files.
- read the whole and use the comments field in case you need any extra help with the installation process.
If you want to learn more about CyanogenMod and their work take a look at their blog page here.
How to install CM 11 Android 4.4.4 Nightly ROM for Galaxy Note 2 N7100:
- Download the latest CM 11 build file from here.
– make sure that you get the latest Build available, starting with the date of 18 June all builds are Android 4.4.4 or later.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.x custom ROMs from here.
- After the downloads are complete you will need to move the files to your phone’s internal storage.
– do not unzip the contents of the zip files.
– if you’ve downloaded the files directly to your smartphone’s internal storage, then you can ignore this third step and continue to the next task.
- Now, switch off your Note 2 completely.
- Next, boot it into Recovery Mode.
– remember that both CWM and TWRP Recoveries are supported by this guide.
- First you will have to create a full NANDROID ROM backup.
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and confirm the process.
– TWRP: press Backup, swipe to confirm backup.
– this step will create a full restore point for your device, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot correctly to home screen.
- Now you can apply the Factory Reset:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
– TWRP: press Wipe, swipe to apply this step.
- Finally, install the CM 11 Nightly on your Galaxy Note 2 N7100:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press Install.
- Find the CM 11 Nightly zip file and confirm its installation from your custom Recovery options.
– note that the installation takes a while to complete which is why you shouldn’t attempt to press any buttons until all files are installed with success.
- After the ROM is installed you will need to use step 8 to find the Gapps zip and install it, too.
- When all files are flashed with success you should return to the main custom CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode menu and reboot the Galaxy Note 2 in normal mode.
– note that the first boot of a custom ROM will take a while to complete, so you shouldn’t press any buttons until the home screen of CM 11 Android 4.4.4 Nightly ROM appears.
- Use your Google or CyanogenMod account info in order to take control over your device once again.
I hope that you’ve managed to successfully update your phone to a new Android 4.4.4 custom ROM like CyanogenMod 11 Nightly.
If the process fails, then you might want to try again while making sure that you won’t skip any steps that are listed above.
In case your Galaxy Note 2 N7100 doesn’t load the CM 11 Nightly ROM after 20 since you’ve pressed the reboot option in Recovery Mode or, in case your device enters in a boot loop, or your phone boots the new ROM, but it shows too many errors, then you will be forced to repeat the tutorial more than once. Make sure that you apply all steps and that you also use the ‘format /system’ options in order to clean all the remains left from the previously installed ROM.
If you need more help use the info below.