Flash Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 Using CyanogenMod 9 Android 4.0.3 ICS Beta 5 Firmware
The developing team of Cyanogen Mod managed to create and release a really early version of the CM 9 and, it can be used to install the Android 4.0.3 Beta 5 firmware on Galaxy ACE devices. As you might’ve guessed, this isn’t an official version of ICS and it wasn’t released by the Samsung Electronics company. Also, there isn’t any official estimated time of arrival for the Android 4.0 for Galaxy Ace nor any other hint that could point to a future release.
The CM9 version that we will use to flash your Galaxy ACE is a very early edition and it is only a release candidate that now can be used to install the Android 4.0.3 Beta 5. There weren’t any bugs reported for this release and it should work fine for your device. By flashing your device using the CyanogenMod 9 you will void its warranty and after that, if you ever wish to restore it you will be forced to find and re-install its stock ROM. Most features and functions on this new build for Galaxy Ace are working and you shouldn’t experience any problems.
The CyanogenMod 9 Android 4.0.3 ICS beta 5 packs the following features: bluetooth, support for sound and headphones, GSM, WiFi, full HW acceleration, GPS, rotation and proximity sensors are all working, CyanogenMod settings included, fixed animations, Facebook sync support, Gmail and browser fully functioning, ICS keyboard, Native Android mass storage support. Make sure that before applying this new custom ROM firmware you need to create a full backup using CWM tools, so that in case something goes wrong you will be able to restore all the data currently stored on your device.
Another feature that is packed within this installation is the fully working GalaxyICS app, which allows you to update the CM9 custom ROM straight from your Galaxy ACE device. The current CM9 release for the Android 4.0.3 ICS beta 5 is pretty much stable and it shouldn’t give you any troubles when running on your phone. Now that you know all this general info about the CM9, you can move to the next part of this article and learn how to properly set your device and computer for the flashing of CM9 Android ICS 4.0.3 beta 5 on your Galaxy Ace S5830 tutorial guide.
- backup all the data such as video, audio, documents, pictures and other important files that you have currently stored on your device.
- make sure to save the APN and MMS settings by going to Settings/ Applications/ Wireless and Network/ Mobile Networks and open the Access Point Names. This helps you browse the web after the update has been completed.
- make sure to charge the battery of your Galaxy Ace so that is higher than 80%. This will prevent your phone from powering OFF during the CM9 update.
- disable all the antivirus/ antimalware and firewall software that are currently installed on your phone.
- for this guide to work, your device has to be already rooted with the CyanogenMod software.
Now that you know the above info, you can move to the first step to of the tutorial guide and learn how to update the Galaxy ACE using CyanogenMod 9 Beta 5 Android 4.0.3 ICS firmware. Here’s what you need to do:
- First, download the CM9 firmware package for Samsung Galaxy ACE. Save the zip file on your computer.
- Now, go to Settings/ Applications/ Development and tick the ‘USB debugging’ option.
- Connect your phone to your computer via USB cable.
- Move the zip package you downloaded at step 1 on your phone’s SD card. Place it in the main SD card directory, don’t try to create any folders or subfolders.
- Disconnect the Galaxy ACE from your PC and after that power it OFF.
- Now, enter recovery mode by holding pressed the Menu button and then press the Power ON to boot the phone.
- When in recovery mode, select ‘install zip from SD card’.
- Now select ‘choose zip from SD card’ and select the CM9 beta 5 zip package you moved at step 4. Confirm the installation of the new custom ROM.
- Wait until the update is complete and then select the option ‘Go Back’ to return to recovery mode’s home screen and select ‘reboot system now’ to restart your device. Please note that the reboot might take a while, wait at least 5 mins, then it means that something didn’t complete and you need to repeat all the steps listed above after removing the device’s battery and placing it back in its location.
This was the last step you had to take and now you simply wait until the device power back ON its home screen. Enjoy the CyanogenMod 9 Android 4.0.3. beta 5 ICS firmware on your Galaxy ACE. If you have questions regarding the updating process then please feel free to let us know by posting in the comments section.
NOTE: For those that are experiencing problems with the WIFI, then download this patch as it will fix every problem.