Android 4.4.2 KitKat update has been leaked for the Canadian Galaxy S4 smartphone, and you can use this tutorial if you want to learn how to successfully update the device. Read the entire post and make sure that you know what you’re doing before flashing the new firmware files, as you will risk bricking the device.
This update has been leaked at XDA and before starting the installation you need to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- use this tutorial only with the Canadian Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I337M.
- don’t update any other phones or tablets with the files that you will find in this post, as you will end up bricking their firmware.
- download and install the Samsung USB Drivers for your PC from here.
- disable all the antivirus applications and the Samsung KIES software from running on your computer.
- these apps, when running, will block Odin3 v3.09 and won’t allow you to flash any new firmware files.
- enable the USB Debugging from the Developer Options menu.
- if you can’t find Developer Options section, then it might be because it is hidden which is why you should un-hide it: go to About Device and then tap 7 times on the Build Number section.
- note that in case your device sports a custom ROM, then you will lose the data stored on it.
- if the device is running a full Android stock ROM you won’t lose any data.
- remove the external SDcard before starting installing the new ROM.
- you can backup data from installed applications, SMS and other data using the Helium tool for Android.
- also, you can sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- make sure to verify that your phone’s battery has enough power left before it switches off completely – at least 50% charge is required for the battery to last the entire installation process.
- this is a tutorial for advanced Galaxy S4 I337 users, so you shouldn’t attempt to use the guide in case you’re a novice or you don’t know how to use Odin.
- read the entire post and make sure not to skip any steps.
These were all the preparation steps you had to read, now you’re free to get to the tutorial part of this post and learn how to update the smartphone. Note that you shouldn’t skip any steps if you want to complete the installation at your first attempt.
Note that in case you don’t want to use the leaked firmware to update your device, then you can wait until the official firmware is pushed via OTA.
Flash Android 4.4.2 KitKat Leaked Update for Galaxy S4 I337 Canada:
- Download the I337MVLUFNC1 leaked firmware zip file from here.
- Extract the contents from the firmware zip on your computer.
- create a new folder containing all the firmware files.
- there are four different file with the .tar.md5 extension, don’t extract any further than that.
- Download ODIN3 v3.09 zip from here.
- extract the contents from this zip file and save them all in a single folder.
- Power off your device now.
- Boot the Galaxy S4 I337M in Android Download Mode.
- if you can’t, then you can use this post here to learn.
- Launch Odin 3.09 on your computer.
- Use the USB cable and connect your phone to your PC.
- wait until ODIN confirms that it has recognized your Galaxy S4 I337.
- if the phone is not recognized, then you should re-install the Samsung USB Drivers.
- Go to ODIN screen and do the following:
- Click on the AP button, load the AP_I337MVLUFNC1_880525_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 file.
- Click BL button and load BL_I337MVLUFNC1_880525_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
- Click CP button and load CP_I337MVLUFNC1_880525_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
- Click CSC button and load CSC_OYA_I337MOYAFNC1_880525_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
- make sure that the Re-Partition option is disabled and Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are enabled.
- after you’ve loaded all the above features you should get to the next step.
- Press the START button when you’re ready to begin the installation process of leaked Android 4.4.2 ROM for your Galaxy S4 Canada model.
- note that the installation process will take at least five minutes to complete which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until all files are flashed with success.
- When the Android 4.4.2 leaked firmware files are flashed by ODIN you will see the PASS alert and the Galaxy S4 I337M will reboot.
- disconnect the phone from PC when the Samsung Galaxy S4 boot animation screen appears.
- The first boot process will take a while to load all the new files, which is why you should wait until the new KitKat home screen appears.
NOTE: if the process fails at the first attempt, then you should repeat the tutorial several times, as such ROMs flashed via ODIN might not flash all files immediately. Use the comments field and ask for more help.
NOTE 2: if you can’t complete the guide after multiple attempts or, in case ODIN says that the guide was completed successfully but the Galaxy S4 Canada model is unable to boot in normal mode, then you will be forced to apply a Factory Reset ( it will wipe the system partition and make sure that the new ROM boots successfully).
Here’s how to apply Factory Reset for your Canada Galaxy S4:
- power off the phone completely by removing its battery.
- re-insert the battery after five seconds and then boot the phone in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm process.
- reboot the phone in normal mode or try to re-install the leaked Android 4.4.2 ROM once again.
- the Galaxy S4 Canadian I337 model should boot in normal mode now.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully update your device with a brand new leaked KitKat firmware.