Sony launched the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OTA Update for the Xperia ZR smartphone earlier today. Use this tutorial and learn how to successfully update your device with the latest firmware and experience all the new features and improvements added. This is a guide that should work without problems if you carefully follow all the info I’ve listed below.
Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OTA Update firmware build 10.3.1.A.0.244 for Xperia ZR brings multiple changes such as the addition of PhotoSphere, Gesture Typing support for Keyboard, lock screen widgets, Lock Screen swipe to open camera, Quick Settings panel, Daydream screensaver-like tool, Miracast wireless display, new clock app that comes with support for world clock, stop watch and timer, always-on VPN, Premium SMS confirmation, Group Messaging, Actionable notifications, extended notifications and multiple others.
In order to make sure that you successfully update your device with this new Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OTA Update, then you should first read the guidelines below:
- Use this guide only for the Sony Xperia ZR smartphones with model numbers C5503 and C5502. These are the LTE and HSPA+ variants of Xperia ZR.
- Don’t attempt to update any other devices using the files that are listed in this post.
- Make sure that your computer has all the Sony USB drivers installed on it.
- Enable the USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Create backups of all the files that are currently stored on your device before starting the update.
- If your phone is rooted, is running a custom ROM or it features any other customization then all these will be removed in the process and the Xperia ZR restored to stock Android 4.2.2 ROM.
- Make sure that your device’s battery power levels are over 50%. This will prevent it from switching off while the updating files are installed.
- Use this guide only if you didn’t receive the OTA update in your region. Make sure to check the Software Update menu under Settings> System> About Phone section. If there are no new firmware updates, then you can use this tutorial to install the new update.
- In this post you’ll find two different methods. The 1st one will teach you how to use the Sony Companion / Bridge PC software utility, while the 2nd one uses the Sony Flash Tool.
- This is a guide for advanced users and you cannot blame us in case something goes wrong in the middle of the updating process and you lose data or you brick your smartphone.
- Read the entire tutorial and don’t skip any steps that I have listed below.
- If you cannot complete the update, then you should ask for extra help in comments.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go over in order to correctly prepare your smartphone for the updating process.
How to flash Android 4.2.2 JB build version 10.3.1.A.0.244 Official OTA Update for Sony Xperia Z with Sony Companion:
- Download the Sony Companion software for your Windows PC – download link here.
> if you’re using a Mac, then you need to install Sony Bridge – download link here.
- Use the USB cable and connect the Xperia ZR with your system.
- Launch Sony PC Companion / Sony Bridge app on your PC.
> when the smartphone is detected by the updating utility, continue to the next part of this post.
- A brand new Firmware Update should be listed by the application. Press the button that says ‘Firmware Upgrade’ to continue the process.
- Confirm that you agree with all Terms & Conditions.
- Now press the START Upgrade button to begin the download process of Android 4.2.2 – 10.3.1.A.0.244 OTA Update file.
- Install the new firmware.
- When the update is complete, your smartphone will reboot into normal mode and you can disconnect it from your computer.
That’s it, these were all the steps that you had to take in order to update your Xperia ZR with PC Companion / Sony Bride application.
Check the OS version by going through Settings, then About Phone and verify the Baseband version info.
The 2nd method is destined to be used on devices that are from Nordic Countries or Russia. Do not use the files below to update Xperia ZR devices that are from other regions.
How to update Xperia ZR to Android 4.2.2 JB 10.3.1.A.0.244 with Sony Flash Tool:
- Download the 10.3.1.A.0.244 Jelly Bean Update file for Nordic Countries from here.
Download the 10.3.1.A.0.244 Jelly Bean Update file for Russian region from here.
- Now download the Sony Flash Tool from here.
> when the download is complete, launch the exe and complete its installation on your computer.
> place the Flashtool folder on your computer’s C: partition.
- Launch the FlashTool executable.
> if you didn’t use this tool until now, then you should open the ‘Drivers’ folder within the “Flashtool” directory. Install the Flashmode drivers and then continue to the next step.
- Next, connect your Xperia ZR with your PC using the USB data cable.
- Now you need to move the OTA Update ‘ftf’ file, the one downloaded in step 1. Place the firmware file in the C:\ flashtoolfirmwares folder on your PC.
- Go back to the Flashtool window, click the lightning icon. Now click Flashmode and then press OK.
> a new screen will appear.
> if you want to wipe all data from your Xperia ZR before starting the installation, then you should check Data, Cache and Appslog boxes. If you don’t want to wipe data, then make sure to un-check all the boxes.
- In Source, click it and then browse your PC for the .ftf firmware file. The one copied in step 5.
- Press the Flash button in order to begin the updating process.
- Next, follow the on-screen prompt alerts.
> unplug the phone from PC.
> power off the Xperia ZR.
> boot into Flash Mode: press and hold Volume Down while, at the same time, connect your phone with your PC via USB data cable. The display of your phone will stay blank.
- Look at the Flashtool screen on your PC, the updating process should continue with the installation of the .ftf file.
- When the update is finished, Flashtool will tell you that the process was successful.
- Power ON your Xperia ZR and wait for it to boot into normal mode.
- Enter your Google details and take control over its functions once again.
Now you can begin to test all the new features and customize its home screen so that you’ll enhance your Android 4.2.2 JB experience on your Sony Xperia ZR.
If you have any other questions, use the comments field below.