A brand new Android 4.2.2 firwmare update has been released for the Samsung Galaxy S4 Exynos 5 Octa smartphone. Use this guide and you will learn how to successfully install it at your first attempt using ODIN tool. This is an official OTA Update that can be flashed manually without the need of waiting for the UBUAMDE notification to be sent to your smartphone,
This update works with all the Galaxy S4 International variant with the model number I9500. It has been release for smartphones based in Columbia, but you can install it on your device as long as it is factory unlocked and International version. It fixes several bugs and adds minor tweaks for the overall UI. In order to successfully flash this firmware update for your device, you will first have to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9500. This is the Exynos 5 Octa phone. Don’t try to flash the files you find here on any other Galaxy S4 smartphone.
- your device has to be factory unlocked, but note that in case it is rooted, then this will be revoked. The phone will be restored factory settings.
- any custom Recovery that’s installed on your device will be removed.
- if your phone doesn’t have any customizations then this update shouldn’t delete any data from it.
- make sure to backup some of your most important data in case you’re on a rooted device, as the tutorial will remove the contents from the system partition. Also, the internal SDcard will be affected by the update.
- your computer should have the Samsung USB Drivers installed on it. In case it doesn’t then you can download them from here. The drivers will allow ODIN, the app you’re gonna use to flash UBUAMDE firmwarae, to connect with your PC.
- enable USB Debugging from your phone’s Developer Options menu. If this menu is hidden, then you can enable it by opening Settings, then About Phone and here you need to press 7 times on the ‘Build Number’ section.
- Disable Samsung KIES and any Antivirus tools that you might have installed on your smartphone. Such tools will interfere with the updating process.
- this is a tutorial that should be applied by advanced Android users. Don’t try to use this tutorial in case you don’t know what ODIN is and how to boot into download mode.
- if you’re a novice, then you should carefully proceed with this tutorial and make sure to ask for extra help in comments in case you cannot complete the update.
- make sure that the Galaxy S4 battery has enough power left in its battery. In case the device switches off while you’re trying to flash UBUAMDE Jelly Bean 4.2.2 firmware, then you will have to repeat the entire tutorial and hope that it wasn’t bricked.
- note that we cannot be held responsible in case you lose any important data in the process or brick the phone.
- don’t skip any steps listed below.
I think that these were all the guidelines you had to go over before getting to the part where you learn how to flash a brand new Jelly Bean OTA Update build for your Exynos 5 Octa smartphone. If you cannot complete the update, leave a detailed comment at the end of this post and explain which steps you took and where you got stuck.
Remember that this update will revoke root access and any custom Recovery image that might’ve been installed on it.
How to install Android 4.2.2 UBUAMDE Jelly Bean OTA Update for Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500:
- Download the UBUAMDE Jelly Bean 4.2.2 zip from HERE.
- Save the file on your computer and extract the contents to a single folder on your computer. You will get a file I9500UBUAMDE_I9500UUBAMDE_COO file with the .tar.md5 extension. Don’t extract any further than that.
- Download Odin 3.07 from HERE. Extract its contents to a folder named ODIN and then get to the next step.
- Power off your phone completely.
- Boot the Galaxy S4 into Download Mode.
- Launch ODIN exe on your computer.
- Next, connect your device to PC using USB Data cable. Wait for ODIN to show the ‘Added!!’ message and then continue with the rest of this guide’s steps.
> If ODIN doesn’t say ‘Added!’, then you should change the USB ports or try to re-install the Samsung USB Drivers.
- Now, click ‘PDA’ in ODIN.
- Find the I9500UBUAMDE_I9500UUBAMDE_COO tar.md5 file and load it into ODIN.
> make sure that ODIN’s Re-Partition option is not enabled. Disable it.
> don’t change any other default ODIN settings.
- Press the START button when all files are in place and ready for the updating process. Confirm.
- The updating process shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes to complete. When the install is finished, the phone will reboot and you can unplug it from your computer.
- Enter your Google Account details and take control over your phone once again. Test all the new features and check the About Phone section to verify that the I9500UBUAMDE firmware is listed.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to flash the Android 4.2.2 UBUAMDE Jelly Bean OTA Update for your Galaxy S4. If the update was successfully installed, then you should close this tutorial now and start testing all of its features.
Users who experienced problems while trying to update should read the ‘notes’ listed below.
NOTE 1: if ODIN states that the update failed or ODIN froze, then you should unplug the device from computer. Power it off, then remove its battery and after 5 seconds re-insert it back into its place. Now you will need to repeat the entire tutorial, this time make sure to apply all the steps above without skipping any actions.
NOTE 2: In case ODIN says ‘PASS’ but the phone is unable to get past the Samsung boot animation, then you will be forced to boot in Recovery mode and perform a factory reset. This will remove all contents from your device. But, it will at least fix your problems and force the Galaxy S4 to boot into normal mode with UBUAMDE Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OS. Here’s how to do that:
- power off the phone completely.
- boot into Recovery mode by pressing and holding simultaneously Volume Up, Home and Power. Release the buttons when the screen flickers and the Recovery Mode menu appears.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option from the Recovery Mode’s main screen.
- confirm the data wipe and wait until the process is complete.
- get back to the first screen and select ‘reboot system now’.
- wait for your device to boot into normal mode.
- enter your Google Account info and that should be it, your device should be work with UBUAMDE firmware.
For any extra questions, use the section below.