Android 4.2.2 XXUBMEA OTA Update is now available for the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9505, the Snapdragon 600 variant of the smartphone. Use this tutorial and learn how to successfully install the new firmware update on your device without losing any data files. Note that this guide is easy to follow but you should only use it in case you know what you’re doing and how to use ODIN program.
This new firmware update brings new features and improves several areas of your device. More info about the enhancements added by this OTA Update for SGS4 I9505 can be found here. In order to successfully flash the XXUBMEA Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update manually using ODIN, you need to read the guidelines below first. Here’s what you need to know:
- use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone with the model number I9505. This is the phone that comes with the Snapdragon 600 CPU, which means that you shouldn’t attempt to flash the Update files on the Exynos 5 Octa model because you will end up bricking it.
- your phone has to be factory unlocked.
- if your device is rooted, then you should know that by installing this Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2 XXUBMEA firmware you will revoke root access.
- if your device isn’t rooted then you can continue to the tutorial without backing up any files in the process, as the new OS will surely flash without problems.
- users with rooted phones should backup all their important data, as in case the new firmware update doesn’t boot, then the ‘factory reset’ action will be asked in order to force the device to boot into normal mode.
- make sure that your computer features the Samsung USB Drivers (download link HERE). Without these the phone cannot be connected with your PC and, you won’t be able to use the ODIN program in order to flash the new Android 4.2.2 XXUBMEA Update files.
- disable the Samsung KIES program from running on your computer.
- disable all the antivirus and security tools that are currently opened on your PC. Such apps will surely interfere with the updating program and block any files being transferred between your PC and Galaxy S4 phone.
- enable the USB Debugging option from your phone’s Developer Options Menu in Settings.
> in case the Developer Options menu isn’t shown, then you will have to open Settings, then About Phone and then scroll down to Build Number section. Tap ‘build number’ 7 times and you will unlock the Developer Options.
- make sure that your smartphone’s battery has enough power left in it before switching off completely.
- don’t blame us in case something goes wrong and you lose any important data in the process.
- also, we cannot be held responsible if you brick your Galaxy S4 Snapdragon 600 phone.
- you’re installing the new XXUBMEA Jelly Bean firmware update at your own risk.
- in case you’re having problems installing all the required files, you should ask for extra help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to flash a brand new stock OTA Update for your Android smartphone.
How to update Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 to Android 4.2.2 XXUBMEA Jelly Bean:
- Download the I9500XXUBMEA zip file from HERE. Save the file to your computer.
- When the download is complete, extract the zip contents. You will get a file named ‘I9505XXUBMEA_I9505OXABMEA_DBT.tar.md5‘. Leave the file on your computer desktop and don’t unzip any further than that.
- Download ODIN3 v3.07 zip from HERE.
- Unzip the contents of ODIN zip to a single folder that’s saved on your computer’s desktop screen.
- Next, power off your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 completely.
- Boot the device into Download Mode.
> if you don’t know how to do boot Galaxy S4 into Download Mode look here.
- Launch ODIN exe on your PC.
- Connect your smartphone with the computer via USB cable. When ODIN says ‘added!!’ continue to the next step.
> if ODIN doesn’t recognize the Galaxy S4, then you can choose to change the USB ports or reinstall the Samsung USB drivers using the download link listed above in the preparation guide.
- Click the ‘PDA’ button in ODIN.
- Find the ‘I9505XXUBMEA_I9505OXABMEA_DBT.tar.md5‘ file and load it into ODIN.
> make sure that the Re-Partition option is not enabled.
> don’t edit any other default Odin settings and continue to the next step.
- When everything is set simply click the START button and wait for Odin to complete the installation of I9505XXUBMEA OTA Update file for your Galaxy S4.
- After the update is complete, you will see the phone rebooting and ODIN will display the ‘PASS’ message. Unplug the phone from PC.
- Enter your Google Account details when all the phone boots successfully into normal mode.
- That’s it, you’ve updated your Galaxy S4 with XXUBMEA firmware and, the only thing left to do is to test the new camera firmware and check to see if the ‘move apps to SDcard’ option is working.
If the update has been installed successfully, you should open App Drawer, then Settings and after that check the info listed under About Phone. There you should notice that the version of your phone’s firmware is XXUBMEA. That means that the update was applied correctly and you can close this post.
ROOT USERS info only: If you’re a user who want to root this new firmware, then you might be forced to wait until a working guide will be release for it. This shouldn’t take long and you need to check back to our website as we will post a tutorial on how to root XXUBMEA Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean for Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 phone. Also, the tutorial has removed any custom Recovery image that you had installed previously.
However, if you think that the update hasn’t been installed or the phone refuses to boot after installation, then you should read the extra info listed below.
NOTE 1: In case ODIN says ‘FAIL’, is blocked or any other problems appeared during the installation process, then you should unplug the phone from PC and remove its battery. Close ODIN and after that you should re-insert the phone’s battery. Now, you will have to repeat the entire tutorial once again as you might’ve skipped some of the steps that I have listed above. If you still cannot complete the update, then you should ask for extra help in comments. But, make sure to leave a detailed comment so that we will be able to offer you a viable solution for any problem that you’ve stumble upon.
NOTE 2: In case ODIN says ‘PASS’ but the device is unable to go past the Samsung boot animation screen, then you will be forced to ‘factory reset’ your smartphone. This process will force your smartphone to boot into normal mode and with the new update OS. If you factory reset your device then you will lose all contents from your device but it solve the problem and your device will boot. Here’s how to do that:
- power off your Galaxy S4 completely by removing its battery.
- re-insert the battery after 5 seconds and leave the phone switched off.
- boot it into Recovery mode.
- select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option from the Recovery mode’s main screen.
- return to the main Recovery menu when the ‘factory reset’ process has been completed.
- select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for your device to boot into normal mode.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to manage to complete the installation of all these new XXUBMEA Android 4.2.2 JB files for your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 device. If you cannot complete the update, then you can ask for extra help in comments.