Official Android 4.4.1 OTA Update is here for the Google Nexus 4. In case you didn’t receive the OTA Update notification, then you can use this tutorial in order to learn how to flash such files on your smartphone.
Android 4.4.1 KitKat update fixes several minor bugs that were present in the previous version and tweaks the overall performance of your device. Read the guidelines below before starting the installation.
- use this tutorial only with the Google Nexus 4.
- don’t try to update any other devices using the files that you find in this post.
- the Google Nexus has to run on the Android 4.4 KRT16S firmware.
- phones running older Android 4.4 firmware versions cannot be updated with the new KOT49E.
- download and install the Android SDK from here.
- install this on your computer’s C drive, after that you will have to browse the SDK folder and open ‘Platform-tool’ directory.
- in ‘platform-tools’ folder you’ll need to place the Android 4.4.1 KOT59 OTA Update zip file, as otherwise you cannot start the installation.
- for the process to complete successfully you will be need to ‘adb sideload’ the files.
- you can flash this new OTA Update even with a custom Recovery, but that will work only if you have one installed.
- the latest CWM or TWRP Recovery will work with the zip.
- the installation will not wipe any data from your device.
- note that this is a guide for advanced users, do not blame us in case you brick the phone or lose any important files in the process.
- check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, this will prevent the phone from switching off in the middle of the updating process.
- enable USB Debugging in Developer Options.
- if Developer Options is not listed in Settings, then you should open About Phone and then press seven times on the ‘Build Number’ section.
- if you cannot complete the tutorial, then you can ask for extra help in comments.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go over. Below you’ll find instructions on how to flash KTO49E Android 4.4.1 firmware on your Nexus 4 in case your device runs the latest CWM / TWRP custom Recovery image
Users of Nexus 4 that are featuring a custom Recovery should follow the info below in order to complete installation:
- download the ‘signed-occam-KOT49E-from-KRT16S’ zip from here.
- after the download is complete you should copy the zip file to your smartphone’s internal storage.
- power off the phone.
- boot the device in Bootloader Mode, then select RECOVERY option.
- both CWM / TWRP will work.
- use the ‘install’ option and then load the zip file.
- confirm the installation.
- when the process is complete, disconnect your phone from PC and then boot the device in normal mode.
- now your device will boot in normal mode and Android 4.4.1 KTO49E will be its default OS.
If your smartphone is 100% stock, then you can push the update via ‘adb sideload’ using the info below.
How to flash Android 4.4.1 KTO49E OTA Update for Nexus 4 via ‘adb sideload’:
- Download the ’signed-occam-KOT49E-from-KRT16S’ zip from here.
- change the name of the file to ‘update.zip’
- Save the file in SDK> Platform-tools.
- do not extract its contents.
- Power off your Nexus 4 now.
- Boot it in Bootloader Mode and leave it there.
- Now, launch a Command Prompt with its location set to ‘platform-tools’:
- it can be done by opening the ‘platform-tools’ folder, then pressing and holding Shift on your keyboard while at the same time right-clicking the folder’s empty space.
- select ‘open command prompt window here’
- From the Recovery menu of your phone select ‘apply update from adb’.
- Connect your N4 with your PC via USB cable.
- Next, in order to install the KOT49E Android 4.4.1 OTA Update zip you will have to enter the following command line in CMD window:
- adb sideload update.zip
> press Enter and wait for the installation to complete.
- When the process is finished, reboot your phone in normal mode and disconnect it from your PC.
I think that these were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation of Android 4.4.1 KTO49E KitKat OTA Update for your Nexus 4. If you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments and we will try to come up with a viable solution for you.