Samsung has launched the official OTA Update to Android 4.4.2 KitKat for the International Galaxy S4 smartphone. Read this entire post and you will learn how to successfully update your device without bricking it.
Note that this is a guide that will work best if it were followed by an advanced Android user. If you want to learn more about the new features added by Android 4.4.2 KK OTA Update for your Galaxy S4 I9500, then you can read the news article here. The new updating file for your device has the version set to I9500XXUFNB3 Android 4.4.2 KitKat and the build date set for 13 Feb 2014.
If you want to learn how to successfully update your device with this brand new OTA Update, then it would be best for you to read the preparation guide below:
- use this post only with the International variant of Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9500.
– do not attempt to update any other version of Galaxy S4 with the files that you will find in the tutorial.
– the Galaxy S4 I9505 LTE will soon receive the official OTA Update too, so keep an eye on our website.
- make sure to download and install Samsung USB Drivers for your computer from here.
- disable the Samsung KIES software from running on your computer.
– this app will block the installation of this new official ROM.
– you will use ODIN tool to flash the Android 4.4.2 KK for Galaxy S4 and KIES doesn’t allow such process to be completed.
- disable any antivirus app from running while you’re installing the ROM.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
– if Developer Options isn’t shown, then you will be forced to enable this one too.
> go to Settings, More and then open About Device section: go to Build Number and tap this section seven times.
- if your device is running a custom ROM or any other type of customization will have the system partition wiped entirely.
– if your phone is 100% stock, then you shouldn’t worry about losing any data.
- remove the external SDcard before flashing the new ROM.
- backup data from installed apps, SMS text messages and other similar data using Helium for Android.
- sync Contacts and People details with your default Gmail account.
- check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, so that the phone will not switch off in the middle of the installation process.
- this guide is for advanced users, so we will not be held responsible in case your brick the phone or lose any important data in the process.
- in case you cannot complete update, then you can ask for more help in comments.
I think that these were all the steps that you had to take in order to correctly prepare your phone for the updating process. Now you can continue to the next part of this guide.
How to flash Android 4.4.2 KitKat OTA Update for Galaxy S4 I9500:
- Download the I9500XXUFNB3 ROM zip from here. SamMobile link.
– note that you will need to create an Account in order to be able to download the file; it will not take more than two minutes to do it.
- After the download is complete you can extract the zip contents and save them to your computer’s desktop.
- Download Odid3 v3.09 from here.
– extract its contents and save the folder on your PC.
- Switch off the phone completely now.
- Next, boot the phone in Android Download Mode.
– if you don’t know how to do it, then you can learn using the info listed here.
- Launch Odin 3.09 executable on your computer now.
- Use the USB Data cable and connect the Galaxy S4 to your PC.
> wait until ODIN recognizes the phone and then you continue to the next step.
>note: if the phone is not recognized, then you should re-install the Samsung USB Drivers and then repeat the guide.
- Now, you can click on the AP button in Odin and load the .tar.md5 file you’ve extracted in step 2; that’s the ROM file that you need to flash.
– load the file in Odin and make sure not to change any other default settings.
– note that the Re-Partition option should stay the same.
- Hit the START button when you’re ready to begin the installation.
– don’t press any buttons until the new Android 4.4.2 Update is successfully installed on your Galaxy S4 I9505.
- After all update files are flashed you will see that the phone has rebooted, Odin says that the installation was passed.
– Disconnect the phone from PC and then wait until the home screen of your new OS version appears.
That is it, you’ve successfully updated your device with a brand new custom ROM, one that you can now start testing. If there weren’t any problem with the install process, you can close this post. If there were problems and the update hasn’t been completed, then you can read the notes below.
NOTE 1: if the Odin app freezes or it displays the FAIL alert, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again until you manage to flash the new files.
- power off the phone, remove its battery.
- close ODIN and make sure that the phone is disconnected from PC.
- power on the phone in Android Download Mode, launch ODIN and repeat the instructions listed above.
NOTE 2: if Odin says that the process was successfully, but the phone is unable to go past the Samsung Galaxy S4 screen animation, then you will be forced to Factory Reset the device. ( this process will wipe all data from system partition, but it will force the phone to boot in normal mode).
- power off the phone completely by removing its battery and make sure that it is not connected to your PC.
- now boot the Galaxy S4 in Stock Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm.
- return to the main Recovery menu and reboot the device.
- wait until the first boot is complete, then take control over your Galaxy S4 using your default Gmail account.
These were all the steps that I had for you, now you’re free to start testing the new ROM and its features. For any other questions, use the comments field below.