Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 was launched last year in July with the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean as its default operating system. Now you can use this tutorial to learn how to successfully update your tablet with a brand new Android 4.4.2 KitKat version.
Read this entire post and you should be able to complete the whole process without problems. Before starting the the update it would be best for you to take a look at the preparation info, so that you will not end up wiping the entire tablet contents by accident.
The new Android 4.4.2 KitKat update for Galaxy Tab 3 has the XWUANA1 firmware build. The update was released to stock tablets first and this guide is destined to be used by users who didn’t get the official update notification. Also, you can choose to update your tablet with this official if you’re currently running on a custom ROM.
Now you can take a look at the guidelines below before getting to the tutorial:
- use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0-inch model number T15 LTE.
- don’t try to update any other tablets nor smartphones with the files that you will find in this post.
- download and install the Samsung USB Drivers for your computer from here.
- installing the USB Drivers will make sure that your device will be detected by ODIN, the app that we’re going to use in order to flash a brand new firmware for your device.
- disable any antivirus application from running on your computer.
- disable the Samsung KIES software if it is installed on your PC, as this app will eventually block ODIN from flashing any new files on your tablet.
- make sure to enable the USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- if the Developer Options menu is not listed in the Settings section of your device, then you will need to enable it like this: open About Device menu, then tap seven times on Build Number.
- visit the Developer Options menu under Settings, then enable USB Debugging.
- if the device is running on a custom ROM, then you will see all data stored on its system partition getting wiped, which is why you might want to backup some of your most important files:
- backup data from installed apps using Helium for Android here.
- sync Contacts data with your default Gmail account.
- check your tablet’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, it will prevent your device from switching off in the middle of the installation.
- remove any external microSD card if there is one connected to your tablet.
- this tutorial should be used by advanced Android users, do not blame us in case you brick the tablet or lose any important data in the process.
- read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and use the comments field in case you need any extra help.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to learn how to prepare your tablet for the updating process. Continue to the next part of this post and learn how to update its Android OS.
How to update Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat XWUANA1 version:
- Download the Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXUANA1 firmware zip file from our friends SamMobile here.
- note that you will require to create a new SamMobile account in order to be able to download the file.
- Extract the contents of the zip file after the download is complete.
- you will get a file with the .tar.md5 extension, don’t extract any further than that.
- Download ODIN 3.09 from here.
- extract the contents of the zip file and save the files on your PC.
- Power off the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 tablet completely.
- Boot the tablet in Android Download Mode.
- it can be done by pressing and holding at the same time Volume Down, Home and Power buttons.
- release the buttons when a Warning message appears, then press Volume Up to confirm that you wish to boot the tablet in Download Mode.
- our guide for booting into Galaxy S4 Download Mode is explaining the same here - use it for extra guidance.
- Launch the ODIN executable on your computer.
- Next, use the USB data cable and connect your tablet to your computer.
- wait for ODIN to detect the tablet.
- if the tablet is not detected that you need to re-install the USB Drivers for your Samsung device and then repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- Now, click the PDA button in ODIN.
- Find the Android 4.4.2 XXUANA1 firmware .tar.md5 file and load it in ODIN.
- note that you shouldn’t change any other ODIN default settings.
- make sure that the Re-Partition option is not enabled, if it is enabled you should disable it.
- Hit the START button and wait until the installation is complete.
If the process is successful you will see your Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 tablet booting in normal mode after several minutes. It is ok to disconnect it from your PC when the Samsung boot animation shows up.
If the installation was completed and there are no problems during the process, then you can close this article as you’re done with it. If you had encountered problems then it might be best to read the notes below, too.
NOTE 1: if ODIN says that the process has failed, the app freezes, the computers restarts before the process is complete or your tablet switches off unexpectedly during installation, then you will need to repeat the entire tutorial more than once. Make sure that in case you repeat the guide, then you won’t skip any steps and that you will ask for extra help in comments.
NOTE 2: If ODIN says that the process was passed, but the tablet is unable to get over the Samsung boot animation and it enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to apply a Factory Reset that will wipe all data from the system partition forcing the device to boot in normal mode.
Here’s how to factory reset your tablet:
- power it off completely.
- boot the tablet in Recovery Mode.
- if you don’t know how to do it, then you can follow this guide here - that is a guide for Galaxy S4 but it works with the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0, too.
- in Recovery Mode you should select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- confirm process.
- after the Factory Reset is complete you should reboot the tablet in normal mode.
That’s it, these were all the steps that you had to take. Now you can test the new firmware. For any extra help you can use the comments below.