The official Android 4.4.3 KitKat OTA Update for the Google Nexus 5 is now live for download and installation.
This guide is destined for users that haven’t received the official update and don’t want to wait until KTU84M firmware upgrade is pushed in their region. This tutorial will teach you what steps you need to take in order to complete the update, but before that it would be best for you to take a look at the preparation guide.
If you want to learn more about this new update, then we recommend you to take a look at our Nexus 5 Android 4.4.3 KitKat OTA Update News article here.
Now you should take a look at the preparation info below and learn what steps you should take in order to correctly setup your device for the updating process:
- use this guide only with the Google Nexus 5 smartphone.
- do not try to update any other Android smartphones with the files that you will find in this article.
- make sure that your Nexus 5 is currently running the Android 4.4.2 KitKat KOT49H.
- do not install the new Android 4.4.3 KitKat KTU84M firmware update over any other different firmware.
- check your Nexus 5 firmware version under Settings> About Phone and then read the text under ‘Build Number’, make sure that it is KOT49H.
- below you will find two tutorials: one will teach you how to update the phone via Stock Recovery Mode and the second one will tell you how to use the custom Recovery in order to complete the installation.
- choose the tutorial based on your currently installed custom Recovery.
- if your Nexus 5 runs on a custom ROM, then it would be best for you to return to stock Android 4.4.2 KOT49H before starting the updating process.
- it doesn’t matter if your phone is rooted or not, the update will work.
- download and install the Android SDK on your computer from here.
- install the files in C: partition.
- this folder will be used later as you will have to launch a command prompt from it in order to send push the new update zip file — all the extra info is in the tutorial.
- disable any antivirus app that might be running on your computer.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- Developer Options might be hidden, so you will need to enable it first: go to Settings> About Phone and then tap seven times on the ‘Build Number’ section for the Developer Options menu to appear in Settings.
- make sure that your phone’s battery charge level is over 50%, this will prevent it from switching off in the middle of the installation.
- note that this guide is for advanced Android users, do not blame us in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data in the process.
- get to the next part of this post only when you’re sure that all the pre-requisites above are sorted out.
- read the whole guide and don’t skip any steps.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to apply the updating files.
How to flash Android 4.4.3 KitKat KTU84M for Google Nexus 5:
I repeat, you need to make sure that your phone runs on the Android 4.4.2 KitKat KOT49H STOCK firmware for this upgrade to work.
This first guide is used for STOCK Recovery. If you have a custom Recovery then you should read the second tutorial.
I’m sorry about the long guide and all the extra links, but there are tons of operating that you have to apply in order to complete the guide.
- Download the “signed-hammerhead-KTU84M-from-KOT49H.d173d546.zip“ file and save it on your computer.
- place this file in the ANDROID SDK folder under ‘platform-tools’.
- Power off your Google Nexus 5 now.
- Next, you have to boot the Nexus 5 in Recovery Mode.
- Now you need to select the ‘apply update from adb’ option from N5 Recovery menu.
- Use the USB cable and connect your Nexus 5 to your PC.
- you should hear some sounds telling you that the phone has been connected to your computer.
- Go to the folder where you’ve placed the file downloaded in step 1.
- Press and hold ‘Shift’ key and then right-click in that folder’s white space. Select ‘Open command prompt window here’.
- Update the phone now by entering the following command prompt in Command Prompt Window: adb sideload d173d546ab2347ead90cb0978657f11046300511.signed-hammerhead-KTU84M-from-KOT49H.d173d546
- Now your Nexus 5 Recovery screen will tell you that something is sideloading and you need to wait until the progress level reaches 100%.
- When the install is complete you should reboot the smartphone in normal mode.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to update your Nexus 5 using stock Recovery.
You can also choose to change the firmware zip file to ‘update.zip’ and then install it. Make sure that when you enter the command line you will write like this: adb sideload update.zip.
How to install Android 4.4.3 KitKat KTU84M Update for Nexus 5 using Custom Recovery mode:
If your device has a custom Recovery such as TWRP or CWM installed then you can use this second guide.
This tutorial might not work the same for custom ROMs, so we have to advise you against trying to update your device if it runs a modified ROM.
- Download the file that is listed in step 1.
- Connect your computer with your PC via USB cable.
- Move the downloaded zip file to your Nexus 5 internal sdcard.
- After the file is copied you need to disconnect the phone from PC. Now power off the device.
- Boot the phone in custom Recovery Mode.
- Choose the ‘install zip from sdcard’ option and then ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’.
- Find the KitKat 4.4.3 updating zip and confirm its installation.
- After the update is finished you should reboot the phone in normal mode.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete the updating process. In case you need any extra help use the comments field below.