AOKP team has finished the work on the Milestone 2 ROM build and now you can use it to upgrade your AT&T Galaxy Note 2 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Read this entire post and you will manage to complete the installation easily without bricking your phablet.
More info about the AOKP Milestone 2 ROM features can be found here.
In order to make sure that you correctly install the custom ROM, you will first need to read the guidelines below
- Use this post only with the AT&T variant of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 device. Model number of your device should be I317.
- Don’t flash this new custom ROM on any other Android devices, as you will end up bricking it.
- The AT&T Galaxy Note 2 should be factory unlocked, rooted and running CWM or TWRP Recovery.
- The tutorial will ask you to ‘factory reset’ the device before installing the new ROM, which is why you need to know that this process will delete the system partition contents.
- All installed apps data, SMS, Call logs and other similar data will be wiped in the process.
- If you want to backup installed apps then you can use Titanium Backup utility – download here. Also, if you don’t want to use Titanium Backup, then you can use Helyum app by Koushik Dutta from Google Play Store here.
- Backup SMS, Call logs info and APN Internet Settings with these tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- Enable USB debugging from Developer Options.
- Use this guide only if you’re an advanced user.
- Do not blame us in case you lose important data or you brick the AT&T Galaxy Note 2.
- Make sure that your device’s battery has enough power left before switching off completely, as that will force you to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
Now that you know all of the above continue to the next part of this post.
How to install AOKP Milestone 2 (Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM) for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2:
- Download AOKP M2 ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 ROMs from here.
- Connect your device with your PC via USB Data cable.
- Move both zip files to your AT&T Galaxy Note 2 internal storage. Don’t unzip the archived contents and disconnect the device from PC when the files are copied with success.
- Power off the device now.
- Boot it into CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode.
- First you need to create a ‘NANDROID ROM Backup’ so that you’ll have a restore point for your device:
> CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’. Confirm. Return to the main Recovery screen when done.
> TWRP Recovery: press Backup, select the system parts you wish to backup. Confirm.
- Now you need to apply ‘factory reset’:
> CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
> TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
- Install the ROM now:
> CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find AOKP M2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM zip file. Confirm the installation.
> TWRP Recovery: press Install, browse the internal SDcard for the ROM file. Confirm the update by sliding the blue button listed at the bottom of the screen.
- After the ROM is installed, repeat step 9 actions and flash the Gapps zip too.
- When all files have been installed, return to the main Custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your AT&T Galaxy Note 2 now.
> the first boot process AOKP M2 ROM shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to load.
- Enter your Google Account info when the log on home screen appears.
Test the new AOKP Milestone 2 ROM and tell us in comments how’s your AT&T Galaxy Note 2 running with this new OS. If you have any other questions, use the comments field below.
Also, if you don’t like this new ROM, then you can easily restore the AT&T Galaxy Note 2 to its previous ROM using the NANDROID backup file created in step 7.