Flash Official CM 10.2 Nightly Build for Sony Xperia Z (Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Custom ROM)
The CyanogenMod team has launched the official CM 10.2 Nightlies for the Xperia Z. Use this tutorial and you’ll learn how to successfully update your device with one of the most used Android 4.3 Jelly Bean custom ROMs.
The CM 10.2 Nightly ROM receives new builds on a daily basis with each release fixing bugs in previous releases along with adding new stability tweaks and features to improve your Xperia Z experience. This is a ROM that is based on the latest Android AOSP 4.3 build. In order to make sure that you successfully update your device with this release, then you should first take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this tutorial only for the Sony Xperia Z smartphone. Don’t try to update any other devices with the files you find here.
- The Xperia Z that you’re about to update with CM 10.2 has to be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP.
- It is highly recommended for you to create a NANDROID Backup for your currently installed ROM. There is a step in the tutorial that will tell you how to complete such task.
- For this ROM to install correctly, you will need to factory reset the device. This process will delete all contents from the system partition, which is why you might want to backup data from installed applications, SMS, Contacts info and other similar files.
- If you wish to save data from some of your most important installed apps, then you should use Helium app from Google Play or the Titanium Backup tool. Note that the Titanium Backup tool might not work with CM 10.2 ROMs.
- For backing up data from SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings, then you will need to use some of the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for some of these apps.
- Sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account. It will backup all your phone numbers and contacts data, which can be restored to your device after installing the new ROM and using the same Google Account.
- ‘Factory Reset’ will not delete contents from your device’s internal storage, which is why you should move all important files to that part of your device.
- NOTE: In case your phone runs already on a previous CM 10.2 Nightly build, then you can skip the ‘factory reset’ and simply overwrite the currently installed ROM with the latest build.
- in case you skip the ‘factory reset’, install the latest CM 10.2 Nightly build but the phone is unable to boot into normal mode, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial without skipping any steps.
- Enable USB Debugging from the Developer Options menu.
- This is a guide for advanced users, note that we cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong and you brick the phone or you lose data in the process.
- For any problems you might encounter during the updating process, you should use the comments field to ask for extra help.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery has enough power left so that it won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
Since you’ve read all of the above, you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to update your device with one of the most popular Android 4.3 Jelly Bean custom ROMs.
How to flash CM 10.2 Nightly Official ROM for the SONY Xperia Z:
- Download CM 10.2 Nightly ROM from here.
- make sure to download the latest possible build.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 JB Custom ROMs from here.
- this is the file that will flash all the Google-based apps your phone needs in order to work correctly.
- Connect your Xperia Z with your computer via USB cable.
- Move both zip files to your smartphone’s internal storage. When the files are copied, disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off your device now.
- Boot your Xperia Z now into Custom Recovery Mode.
- note that you need either CWM or TWRP Recovery for this guide to work.
- When you’re at the main Custom Recovery screen you should first create a NANDROID ROM Backup for the OS that is currently installed on your device:
- CWM Recovery: Select ‘backup and restore’ option, then use the Backup to SDcard option to create the restore point.
- TWRP Recovery: press Backup, then select the System parts you want to save. Confirm.
- Now you can apply the ‘factory reset’ step:
- CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm the process.
- TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset option. Confirm.
> when this step is complete continue with the next one.
- Install the CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM now:
- CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.2 Nightly zip file. Confirm the installation.
- TWRP Recovery: press Install, then browse your internal storage for the CM 10.2 Nightly zip. Confirm.
- When the CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM is flashed, repeat step 9 and install Gapps zip too.
- When both files are installed with success, return to the main menu of the CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode.
- Reboot your Sony Xperia Z now.
- wait for the first boot process to load all the new Android 4.3 / CM 10.2 files. This process might take at least 3-4 minutes to complete.
- Enter your Google Account details when the home screen of CM 10.2 Nightly appears. Take control over your Xperia Z and start testing and customizing your phone’s brand new custom ROM.
These were all the actions you had to take in order to update your device with a custom Android 4.3 Jelly Bean ROM. If you have any other questions or you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Also, you can try to repeat the entire tutorial in case you don’t manage to flash all files at your first attempt.
Remember that you should always create a NANDROID Backup before installing new CM 10.2 Nightly builds. In case you like this CM 10.2 ROM, then you can continue updating it with new versions using the CM Updater tool under Settings menu.