The Android 4.3 Jelly Bean-based build of CyanogenMod has been released for the Verizon Galaxy S4. Use this tutorial and learn how to update your device with CM 10.2 Nightly ROM in ten minutes.
CM team works currently with the latest AOSP Android 4.3 release and hopefully we will get a ‘release candidate’ build next month. At the moment Verizon Galaxy S4 users can install the CM 10.2 Nightlies if they want to test the latest Jelly Bean features and improvements. If you want to successfully update your device at your first attempt, then you should take a look at the preparation guide below:
- This post is destined to be used only with the Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy S4 device.
- Don’t attempt to flash the CM 10.2 Nightly build file that you find here on any other Galaxy S4 phone nor on other Android devices. If you flash the wrong custom ROM then you will end up bricking the device.
- Use this post only if your Galaxy S4 Verizon is factory unlocked, is rooted and it has the CWM or TWRP Recovery installed.
- Both CWM and TWRP Recovery images are supported by this guide.
- In the tutorial part of this article you will be told that a ‘factory reset’ is required. NOTE: in case your phone already runs on a previous build of CM 10.2 Nightly ROM, then you can skip the ‘factory reset’ and overwrite it with the latest version.
- Factory Reset action will remove all contents from your device’s system partition. So, data such as installed apps, SMS, Call Logs info, Contacts and other similar files will be wiped in the process.
- Backup data from installed applications using Helium app (here) from Google Play Store or you can try to use Titanium Backup (here). Note that the Titanium Backup tool might not work best with CM 10.2 ROMs.
- If you wish to backup SMS data, APN Internet Settings or even Call Logs info, then you can easily use the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for some of these small applications.
- In order to save all the stored phone numbers and Contacts data, then you need to sync Contacts with your default Gmail account.
- Enable USB Debugging from the Developer Options menu.
- This tutorial should be applied by advanced Android users. Don’t try to flash a custom ROM in case you know next to nothing about CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode and how a custom-built ROM works or what it does to your device.
- Remember that this build of CM 10.2 Nightly is only in its testing stage and it might feature some errors or bugs. That’s why you are required to create a full NANDROID Backup of your currently installed ROM. More info is listed in the tutorial.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery power levels are over 50%, so that it won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- Do not blame us in case you lose important data, brick the phone or some other wrong is done by the installation of this new CM custom ROM.
- For more info about this tutorial or for extra instructions, use the comments field at the end of this post.
If you read all of the above then you can continue with the rest of this tutorial’s instructions in order to learn how to successfully update your device with the latest and one of the most popular SGS4 custom ROM currently available.
How to flash CM 10.2 Nightly Android 4.3 Custom ROM for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4:
- Download the ROM from here.
– make sure to download the latest CM 10.2 NIghtly build.
– do not unzip the archived contents.
- Download Gapps zip for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
– this file has to be installed so that all Google-based apps are added to your phone’s ROM.
– don’t extract the zip files.
- Now you have to connect your Verizon Galaxy S4 with your PC via USB Cable.
- Move both files downloaded in steps 1 and 2 to your device’s internal SDcard. After all files are copied, disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off your Verizon Galaxy S4 completely and make sure that is not connected with your PC.
- Boot the device into Custom Recovery Mode.
– if you don’t know how to do that, then you can use the info listed here and learn.
- When the CWM / TWRP Recovery main screen appears you need to create a NANDROID Backup of your current ROM first:
– TWRP Recovery: press Backup, then select the system files you wish to save and confirm.
– CWM Recovery: select the ‘backup and restore’ option. Use the backup option and create the ROM NANDROID Backup.
> this file can be used in the future in case you don’t like how the new ROM works or in case the new ROM doesn’t boot into normal mode after installation.
- Next thing you have to do is to apply the ‘factory reset':
– TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
– CWM Recovery: select the option that says ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
> NOTE: if your device already sports a previous CM 10.2 Nightly ROM release, then you can skip this step and overwrite it using the latest CM 10.2 Nightly ROM build.
> If you skip this step and the device doesn’t boot into normal mode after installing the ROM, then you will need to return to this step. Apply Factory Reset and the VZW Galaxy S4 will be forced to boot into normal mode.
- Now you can finally flash the CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM on your device:
– TWRP Recovery: press Install, then browse your phone’s internal storage for the CM 10.2 Nightly ROM. Confirm the installation.
– CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then from the new screen select ‘choose zip from sdcard. Find the CM 10.2 Nightly ROM file. Confirm.
> the installation shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes. Don’t press any buttons and continue to the next step when all files have been flashed.
- You have to flash the Gapps zip now. Simply use the actions in step 9 and install Gapps zip.
- After both zip files have been installed, return to the main Custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 into normal mode and wait for the CM 10.2 Nightly ROM to finish the first boot process.
– the first boot process will take a while to complete, which is why you should wait.
– if the phone doesn’t boot into normal mode, then you will have to repeat this entire post. Make sure not to skip any steps and apply the ‘factory reset’, as it will force the device to boot into normal mode.
- When the CM 10.2 Nightly / Android 4.3 custom ROM home screen appears, enter your Google Account credentials in order to take control over your device.
That is all, you’ve managed to update your Verizon Galaxy S4 with the latest build of CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM. Test all the new features and things added after installation and then start customizing the home screen to get the best Android 4.3 Jelly Bean experience.
In case you’re having problems with the installation of this new ROM, then you can either repeat the entire tutorial or ask for our help in comments. If you like how this new ROM works with your device, then you can continue updating it with the Nightly builds using the CM Updater tool under Settings menu.
In case you don’t like how CM 10.2 Nightly ROM works with your device, then you can always restore it to its previous ROM using Custom Recovery Mode and the NANDROID Backup file created in step 7.