Using this tutorial you will learn how to successfully update your Samsung Galaxy S4 T-Mobile smartphone with a working official build of CM 10.2 Nightly ROM. Read the entire article, make sure that you know what you’re doing and then start the installation.
CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM has been launched several weeks ago with the Nighlty tag. This is a testing version of the final CM 10.2 Stable release, which should be available later this year. It is based on the Android 4.3 AOSP ROM but you will also be able to test new CM 10.2 features such as the Focal camera. This new build brings tons of new things and tweaks, but you should know that you might also find some errors while testing it.
The CM 10.2 has been released for all Samsung Galaxy S4 variations, but this post will only work for the T-Mobile one. However, feel free to browse our Update section to find guides for all the other Android smartphones.
If you wish to successfully update your device, then you should take a look at the preparation info below. Here’s what you need to know and how to correctly configure your SGS4:
- Use this article only with the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 device.
- Do not attempt to update any other device using the files listed in this post, as you will end up bricking it.
- This is a guide for advanced Android users, do not try to flash any custom ROM files if you don’t know what you’re doing.
- Your device has to be factory unlocked, it needs to be rooted and running CWM or TWRP Recovery.
- Both CWM and TWRP recovery modes will work with this guide.
- In the tutorial you’ll find the ‘factory reset’ step. It will delete all contents from system partition, files such as installed app data, SMS and others.
- To backup installed apps data you will need to look for a working tool from Google Play Store.
- If you wish to backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet settings use these tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. You will need to grant root access for some of these apps.
- In case you don’t want to lose any phone numbers nor contacts info, then you should sync such data with your Gmail account.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Make sure that the T-Mobile Galaxy S4 battery has enough power left in it before switching off completely.
- You can’t held us responsible for losing important data nor in case your device gets bricked in the process.
- This build of CM 10.2 Nightly is official, but it still is a testing ROM and it might features errors or bugs. Install it only if you want to test Android 4.3 AOSP and the latest CM features.
- It is highly recommended for you to create a full NANDROID Backup of the ROM that is currently installed on your TMO SGS4 phone. This will act as a restore point for your device and you can use it to repair the device in case something goes wrong.
- If you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this article and learn how to update your device.
How to update T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 4.3 using Official CM 10.2 Nightly ROM:
- Download the CM 10.2 Nightly ROM zip from here.
– make sure to download the latest available version and not the older ones.
– the older versions might feature bugs that were solved in newer builds.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 / CM 10.2 ROMs from here.
- Connect your device with your PC using the USB data cable.
- Now copy both zip files to your phone’s internal SDcard. When the files are copied disconnect the device from computer.
- Power off your T Mobile Galaxy S4 now.
- Boot the phone into Custom Recovery Mode.
- When the home screen of either CWM / TWRP Recovery appears you should create the NANDROID backup file:
> CWM Recovery – select ‘backup and restore’ option. Use the Backup option and confirm that you wish to create the ROM backup.
> TWRP Recovery – press Backup, then select the files that you want to save. Confirm the process and wait for the backup to be created.
– continue to the next step when done.
– if your device is already sporting a previous build of CM 10.2, then you can skip this step.
- Next, apply the ‘factory reset’ for your device:
> CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm this process.
> TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
- Now you can flash the CM 10.2 ROM using this step:
> CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.2 Nightly zip file. Confirm the installation.
> TWRP Recovery: press Install. Browse the phone for the CM 10.2 Nightly zip and load it into TWRP. Confirm that you want to install the new ROM using the blue button at the bottom of the screen.
– the installation process shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes to complete.
- Repeat step 9 and flash the Gapps zip file too.
- When both files have been successfully installed, you should return to the recovery screen and reboot the phone.
- Wait for the device to complete the first boot process. When all the files have been loaded you will see the CM 10.2 Nightly / Android 4.3 Home Screen and you should simply enter your Google Account info to gain control over your device once again.
That’s it, you’ve managed to update your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 with the official CM 10.2 Nightly ROM using this post. Test all the new features and functions.
If you cannot complete the update, then you can always ask for more help in comments and we will try to come up with a solution for your problems. In case the ROM doesn’t install correctly at your first attempt, then you should repeat the entire tutorial. If you retry the installation, then you should know that you have to make sure that you don’t skip any steps listed above, so you should make sure to ‘factory reset’ the device and flash the ‘gapps’ zip along with the ROM.
Also, in case you find major bugs or you simply don’t like how your T Mobile Galaxy S4 runs with this CM 10.2 Nightly ROM, then you can use the backup files created in step 7 to restore your device to its previous OS.
Also, keep in mind that you can continue to update your smartphone with new CM 10.2 Nightly builds using the CyanogenMod Updates option. It can be found under Settings menu. Simply search for new Nightlies builds and you should get a new version on a daily basis, click once to download and once to confirm the installation. Wait for your device to install all files and then to reboot into normal mode. For any other questions use the comments field below.