Flash Official CM 11 Nightlies for Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Use this tutorial if you want to learn how to successfully update your Verizon Galaxy Note 2 with the latest official build of CM 11 Nightly ROM. This is a guide that should be used by those of you who want to test new KitKat custom ROMs and see how will their VZW Note 2 work with this brand new CM build.
CyanogenMod 11 Nightly is based on Android 4.4 KitKat AOSP and it brings a stable and new experience for your smartphone. Remember that this is not an official Samsung OTA Update, but a simple custom ROM designed by the popular CM team. More info about this release can be found at the developer’s web page here.
Read the guidelines below before starting the updating process, as it will help you successfully set up the device and help you complete the guide at your first attempt. Here’s what you need to know:
- use the tutorial only if you own a Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
- don’t attempt to update any other smartphones with the files that you find in this post.
- your device should be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery image.
- TWRP recovery might work too.
- it is highly recommended for you to create a full ROM Backup for the installed OS.
- this will create a restore point for your device and it can be used in case the new CM 11 Nightly ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
- this step is listed in the tutorial and you shouldn’t skip it.
- ‘factory reset’ is required and you should skip the step.
- ‘factory reset’ wipes all data from your smartphone’s system partition.
- factory reset doesn’t delete files from internal / external storage.
- backup data from installed applications using the Helium tool — Google Play Store link here.
- backup SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings with the following apps: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- sync your Contacts data with your Gmail account.
- guide here.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- check the phone’s battery power charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, so that the phone won’t power off in the middle of the installation.
- read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and make sure that you know what you’re doing.
- if you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully update your smartphone with the brand new custom ROM.
How to flash CM 11 KitKat Nightly ROM for Verizon Galaxy Note 2:
- Download the CM 11 Nightly build from here.
- make sure to download the latest build available.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4 custom ROMs from here.
- Connect your phone with your computer and then move both files to your smartphone’s internal storage.
- disconnect the phone from PC when the files are copied with success.
- do not unzip the files.
- Power off your Verizon Galaxy Note 2.
- Boot the device in CWM Recovery mode.
- it can be done by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power, all at the same time.
- release the buttons when the main CWM recovery mode menu appears.
- Create a full NANDROID ROM Backup now.
- select ‘backup and restore’ option, save the file on your device and then continue to the next step when done with the backup.
- Next, apply “factory reset”:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm the process.
- Now you can finally flash the brand new custom ROM zip:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’, find the CM 11 Nightly zip and confirm its installation.
- When the ROM is installed, get back to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your smartphone in normal mode now and wait for the device to load all files.
- note that the first boot process takes a while to load all files and you shouldn’t any buttons until the CM 11 home screen appears.
- Enter your CyanogenMod credentials and log into your device. Test all of its new features and see how your device works with this brand new custom ROM.
In case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode or in case it enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again. In case you do repeat the guide, then you should make sure not to skip any steps listed above.
If you find any errors or bugs while testing this custom ROM, then you can either report them in comments for others users to learn about them or, you can choose to report them straight to CM team. Keep in mind that CyanogenMod 11 Nightlies are in no way full nor stable editions, which is why you might find some errors while testing it.
With each new CM 11 Nightly build released we will get better and improved installments. Also, note that you can keep on updating your device with new builds using the Settings menu, then About Phone and open CyanogenMod Updates menu to search for new builds.
If you cannot complete the tutorial or you’re having problems after installing it, then you should ask for more help in comments. Also, if you don’t like this new ROM or there are way too many bugs showing app while testing it, then you should restore it to its previous ROM using the NANDROID ROM Backup file created in step 6.