Flash Official CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM on the AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Using this tutorial is pretty easy as you will first need to take a look at the preparation info and then move on to the ‘how-to’ part in order to learn how to install CM 10.2 Nightly Official ROM on the AT&T variant of the Galaxy Note 2 phablet.
The CM 10.2 Nightly ROM has been released a few weeks ago by the CyanogenMod team and it comprises all AOSP Android 4.3 Jelly Bean features along with some extra CM ones. Read the guidelines below first and learn how to prepare your device for the updating process:
- This post works exclusively with the AT&T version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
- Don’t try to flash the CM 10.2 build you find here on a different Galaxy Note 2 phablet, as you will end up bricking it.
- Use this guide only if your device is factory unlocked, rooted and it has the CWM or TWRP Recovery installed.
- In the tutorial you’ll find a ‘factory reset’ step and you should apply it so that you’ll manage to complete a clean installation of CM 10.2
- Note that all files that are stored on your device’s system partition will be removed by the ‘factory reset’.
- Backup installed applications data using Titanium Backup app here or the Helium tool from Google Play Store here. Note that the Titanium Backup might not work with CM 10.2 ROMs as it might not allow you to restore data from your device.
- If you want to backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings then you should use these Android utilities: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for some of these tools.
- Use this info here to learn how to successfully sync your Contacts data with your default Gmail account.
- It would be best for your to create a full NANDROID backup of your currently installed ROM. This sets a restore point for your phone and you can use it in case something goes wrong during or after the installation of CM 10.2 Nightly.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone or you lose any data in the process.
- Enable USB Debugging.
- Make sure that the AT&T Note 2 battery has enough battery power before it switches off completely.
- Read the entire post and don’t skip any steps.
Install CM 10.2 Nightly for AT&T Galaxy Note 2 (Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Custom ROM):
- Download CM 10.2 Nightly zip from here.
- Download the Gapps zip for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
- this is the file that you have to flash in order to get all Google-based applications installed on your smartphone.
- Use the USB cable and connect your Galaxy Note 2 AT&T with your PC.
- Move both zip files to your phone’s internal SDcard. When the files are copied you have to disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off the device and now boot it into Custom Recovery Mode.
- both CWM and TWRP Recoveries are working with this guide, so it doesn’t matter which one you use.
- When you’re at the main custom Recovery menu you will need to create a NANDROID Backup of your currently installed ROM:
- CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’ option. Use the Backup tool and save the backup on your device.
- TWRP Recovery: press Backup. Select the system files you want to save and confirm the process.
- Next, apply the ‘factory reset’ process:
- CWM Recovery: use the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm.
- TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset option from the new screen. Confirm.
> skip this step in case your phablet already runs on a previous build of CM 10.2 Nightly.
> if you skip this step but your device doesn’t boot into normal mode with the new ROM, then you will have to return to this step.
- Now, flash the new CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM:
- CWM Recovery: open ‘install zip from sdcard’ screen, then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.2 Nightly ROM and confirm its installation.
- TWRP Recovery: press Install. Browse the phone for the CM 10.2 Nightly zip. Load it into TWRP and confirm the process.
> don’t press any buttons during the installation of this new ROM.
> get to the next step when done.
- Now you will have to flash the Gapps zip as well. Do it using the same options as it step 8. Confirm.
- When Gapps is installed return to the main CWM / TWRP Recovery screen. Use the Reboot option to boot into normal mode.
- Enter your Google Account details when you’re at the main CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly home screen. That’s it.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully install this new Nightly build of CM 10.2 on your AT&T Galaxy Note 2 smartphone.
In case the first boot process takes too long to complete or the device enters into a boot loop, then you should repeat this entire tutorial once again starting with step 5. Make sure not to skip any steps that are listed above.
If you do not like the new ROM, then you can use the ROM NANDROID Backup created in step 6 and restore your AT&T Galaxy Note 2 to its previously installed ROM.