Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100G received its own version of CM10.1 M1 build and you can learn how to install it using the instructions that I’ve listed in this article.
The CyanogenMod 10.1 M1 ROM has been launched for the I9100G variant of Galaxy S2 and it brings the latest Android 4.2.1 firmware along with all features of CM10.1 Nightlies builds. This is a ROM that is much more stable than the Nightly builds and it is for users who wish to experience a stock Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean experience.
It features all latest Jelly Bean features such as the improved Google Now, Swipe-like keyboard, New lockscreen and camera functions, etc. There are many new features and if you want to install it then you should read the guidelines below first:
- Use this guide only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100G. Do not attempt to install it on the I9100 variant as it won’t work. Also, don’t flash the files on any other Android device.
- Your phone should be rooted and running a Custom Recovery image such as CWM or TWRP. We will use CWM recovery in this guide.
- Use the CWM (ClockworkMod) Recovery mode to create a full backup of your current ROM. This is required because the device might not boot properly with the new ROM and you will be forced to restore it to its working state.
- Create backups of your SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings using these tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Root access is required for these apps.
- Save all data of Contacts / People using the guide HERE. It teaches you how to sync Contacts with your Gmail account.
- Enable USB debugging option.
- The battery power level should be over 50%. This will make sure that the device won’t power off while you’re installing the new ROM.
- This is a guide for advanced users and you shouldn’t blame us in case something goes wrong during the installation. Move all your important data files to your PC.
- Don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed below.
- For any extra questions use the comments section.
Now that you know all of the above, move to the tutorial and learn how to flash the latest ROM from CyanogenMod team.
NOTE: If your phone is currently running a previous build of CM10.1 M1 Nightly build, then you can skip step 6 and instead install the new ROM release over the current one. If you’re unsure about the current ROM, then you can check the info listed under the Settings – About Phone menu.
How to install CM10.1 M1 custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G:
- Download the ROM from HERE. Save it on your PC and don’t unzip.
- Download the Gapps zip from HERE. Get the latest version for CM10.1, that one will install the latest Google applications on your phone.
- Connect the phone to PC and move those two zip files on the internal SD card. Disconnect the phone from PC and then proceed and power off the SGS2 I9100G.
- Boot it into custom Recovery mode by pressing at the same time Volume Up, Home and Power. Release the buttons when the phone loads the CWM recovery mode.
- Create a NANDROID ROM backup of your current OS using the ‘backup and restore’ option. If you have such backup already then you should skip this step.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm this process.
- Flash the CM10.1 M1 ROM using the ‘install zip from sdcard’ option. From the next menu select ‘choose zip from SDcard’ and find the custom ROM zip. Confirm the installation.
- Now select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and flash the Gapps for CM10.1 zip.
- Get back to the main Recovery screen and select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait for the device to boot into normal mode and then test the new ROM.
If you can’t flash the ROM from the first attempt then you should power off the device completely. After that you will need to repeat the entire tutorial once again as these custom ROMs are prone to installation errors. The second attempt should be completed only after you apply step 6 and the device is restored to its factory settings.
These were all the instructions that I had for you. Now you should begin testing the CM10.1 M1 ROM and after you’re done you should tell us which are the best features.