The OmniROM Android 4.4.4 KitKat build is now live for the LTE variant of Samsung Galaxy S4 device. Use this guide in order to learn how to successfully install it on your phone without bricking its firmware.
This OmniROM custom build is based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat AOSP, but it also features CyanogenMod, Paranoid Android and AOKP components. Besides all that you will also get some features designed by the Omni developing team. In order to learn more about their work you can choose to read the info here.
Before starting the installation process of this new ROM you will need to read the preparation info below:
- use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE models.
– it should work with all LTE variants of this device.
– don’t try to use this guide with any other different Android smartphones or tablets as you will end up bricking their firmware.
- your phone has to be rooted and running the latest CWM or TWRP custom Recovery build.
– both custom Recovery variants are working with this tutorial.
- the tutorial contains two extra steps: NANDROID Backup and Factory Reset, don’t skip them.
– the NANDROID Backup step will create a full ROM restore point, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
– Factory Reset: this needs to be applied so that you will install the new OmniROM 4.4.4 Nightly over a clean device.
– Factory Reset doesn’t wipe data from internal nor external storage.
- if you need to backup some data from installed apps use the Helium tool for Android.
– Contacts can be synced with your default Gmail account.
- check the battery power level and make sure that it is over 50%, this will prevent it from switching during installation.
- this is a guide for advanced Android users, don’t blame us in case you brick the phone, nor in case you end up losing any data in the process.
- read the whole tutorial and make sure not to skip any steps that are listed in this post.
Now that you’ve gone past all of the above you can continue to the next part of this tutorial and learn how to flash a brand new Android 4.4.4 custom ROM.
How to install OmniROM 4.4.4 Nightly for Galaxy S4 LTE:
- Download the ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.x zip from here.
- Move both zip files on to your Galaxy S4 LTE internal storage.
– do not unzip the archived contents.
– if you’ve used your device to download the files, then you can skip this step.
- Power off the phone and then boot it CWM / TWRP Custom Recovery Mode.
– this guide should work with any other custom Recovery version that supports KitKat 4.4.4 ROMs.
- Create the NANDROID Backup:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’.
– TWRP: press Backup.
– name this file and then confirm the process.
- Apply the Factory Reset:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
– TWRP: press Wipe.
– confirm the factory reset process now.
- Start the OmniROM 4.4.4 Nightly flash process for your Galaxy S4 LTE now:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press Install.
- Find the ROM zip file and confirm its installation. After the OmniROM is flashed you can install Gapps zip, too.
- Reboot the Galaxy S4 LTE in normal mode after all files are installed with success.
– note: the first boot process of this new ROM will take a while before it loads all the new files.
- Use your Google Account info and take control over your device once again.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete the tutorial successfully and that you’re now testing all of its new features.
In case you cannot complete the installation of OmniROM Android 4.4.4 Nightly, then you should try to ask for extra help in comments.