Use this tutorial if you want to learn how to successfully install the OmniROM Android 4.4.4 Nightlies on your Galaxy S2 I9100.
This is a new custom ROM that’s based on AOSP Android 4.4.4 KitKat and it provides a great way for you to refresh your old Samsung Galaxy S2 device. Read more about this release here at the Omni website blog page.
Before starting the update you should read the guidelines below:
- use this post only for the International Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100.
– don’t try to update any other smartphones with the files that you will find in this post.
- your Galaxy S2 has to be rooted and running the latest build of CWM or TWRP Recovery.
- before installing the new ROM you will need to apply two extra steps: NANDROID Backup and Factory Reset. Don’t skip these steps.
– NANDROID Backup creates a restore point, while factory reset allows you to install a clean copy of OmniROM for your device.
– factory reset doesn’t wipe data from internal nor external storage.
- if you want to save data from installed apps, then you will can use Helium for Android.
– sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- use this guide only if you’re an advanced Android user who wants to tinker with their phone’s OS.
- read the whole guide and don’t skip any steps if you want for the installation to complete at your first attempt.
- check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, this will prevent the device from switching off during installation.
Get to the next part and learn how to install this Nightly KitKat ROM for your device.
How to flash OmniROM Android 4.4.4 ROM for Galaxy S2 I9100:
- Download the latest build of this ROM from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.x ROMs from here.
- Connect the device with your PC and move both zip files to your smartphone’s internal storage.
– don’t unzip the archives.
- Power off the phone and then boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
– that’s a guide for Galaxy Note 2 Recovery Mode boot, but it will work with Galaxy S2, too.
- Create a NANDROID Backup:
– for CWM select ‘backup and restore’, for TWRP use the Backup option.
– set a name for the backup and confirm process.
- Apply the Factory Reset:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm process.
– TWRP: press Wipe.
– confirm process.
- Now start installing the ROM:
– CWM select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press Install.
- Find the OmniROM 4.4.4 Nightly zip and confirm process. After the ROM is flashed you need to use the same actions as in step 7 to install Gapps zip, too.
- Reboot the phone in normal mode after all files are successfully installed.
- Use your Google account info in order to take control over your device once again.
Note that the first boot process of your device will take more than 10 minutes in order to load all the files of this new OmniROM 4.4.4 Nightly. In case the device doesn’t boot in normal mode then you will have to repeat the whole guide more than once. Also, make sure to use the comments field in case you need more help.