Flash OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightlies for 2013 Google Nexus 7 WiFi
OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightlies are now available for the 2013 model of Nexus 7 WiFi tablet. Use this tutorial and you will learn how to successfully update your device to one of the best up-and-coming KitKat custom ROMs.
This is a custom ROM built by Xplodwild, Chainfire and Dees_troy. They are also helped by several other contributors and now they’ve managed to compile a full working Nightly build of OmniROM Android 4.4. If you want to learn more about the new things added by this custom ROM then you should visit the developers’ web page here.
Read the preparation guide below first before starting the update process:
- This is a guide that will work exclusively with the 2013 variant of Google Nexus 7 WiFi.
- don’t attempt to flash the files you find in this post on any other Android phone or tablet.
- the 2013 Nexus 7 WiFi tablet is codenamed ‘flo’, so you shouldn’t attempt to install this OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly build on any other Nexus 7 variant.
- Your tablet should be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery image.
- For OmniROM Android 4.4 to install on your tablet you will first have to apply a Factory Reset.
- this will remove data from system partition, but it will force your tablet to boot with the new ROM.
- Factory Reset doesn’t wipe the internal storage of your device.
> you can skip this step only if you already run on a previous build of OmniROM KitKat Nightly.
- You can backup data from installed applications using the Helium tool from Google Play Store here.
- In the tutorial you’ll find the NANDROID ROM Backup step, which you shouldn’t skip.
- it will set a restore point for your tablet and it can be used in case you cannot boot with the new ROM.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- This is a guide for advanced users, do not skip any steps and read the entire steps before starting the updating process.
- In the tutorial you’ll find a step that tells you to create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your phone. It will set a restore point and you can use it in case the new OmniROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
- Check the tablet’s battery and make sure that its charge level is over 50%, so that you’ll prevent it from switching off in the middle of the installation.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post. Also, if you cannot complete this tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Remember that you shouldn’t use this tutorial with the 2012 variant of Nexus 7, as it won’t work and you risk bricking its firmware. Your tablet’s model number can be found in Settings> About phone.
How to flash OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly for 2013 Nexus 7 Wifi:
- Download the custom ROM from here.
- make sure to download the latest variant of OmniROM Nightly.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect your tablet with your PC and then move both zip files to its internal sdcard.
- after the files are copied, disconnect the device from computer.
- do not unzip the contents of the archived files.
- Power off your tablet and then boot it into CWM Recovery Mode.
- Create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your device.
- select ‘backup and restore’ then save the file to your tablet’s internal storage.
> continue to the next step when done.
- Apply a Factory Reset for your device:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm.
> do not skip this step.
> in case you skip this step and the tablet refuses to boot with the new ROM, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- Now you can flash the OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option.
- Find the custom ROM zip file and confirm its installation.
> do not press any buttons until the process is complete.
- After the ROM is installed, make sure to flash the Gapps zip too.
> return to the main custom Recovery screen when the files are installed.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ for your tablet to boot in normal mode.
- the first boot process of a custom ROM usually takes several minutes to complete.
- Enter your Google Account details when the boot process is complete and take control over your tablet.
These were all the instructions you had to follow in order to successfully update your Nexus 7 2013 WiFi model with the latest OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly.
If the first boot process takes more than ten minutes to complete or in case your tablet enters into a boot loop or there are multiple force close errors showing app after boot, then you will need to repeat the entire tutorial. If you do attempt to repeat the guide, then you should make sure not to skip any steps.
If you don’t like OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly or in case your tablet doesn’t work very well with it, then you should try to restore it to its previous OS using the NANDROID Backup file created in step 5 and the custom Recovery Mode.
I think that these are all the instructions that you had to follow, now you’re free to test this new custom ROM and post in comments if you find any interesting new features. Also, use the same comments field to ask for any extra help, but make sure to leave a detailed comment so that we will be able to come up with a viable solution and help you finish the OmniROM Nightlies installation.