Earlier you got the OmniROM KitKat for I9300, now you can flash these Nightlies for the other Galaxy S3 variant, the I9305 LTE. Use this tutorial and you’ll learn how to successfully update your device with the latest build of a great custom ROM.
OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly is based on the latest AOSP KitKat ROM. It incorporates all the Android 4.4 features and it adds some new ones: non-onbtrusive incoming call notification, enhanced active display, DSP Manager enhancements, per-app permissions, Multi-Window, multiple workspace modes, flippable quick settings and tons of other tweaks.
Remember that this custom ROM is still in its development phase and you might find errors and bugs while testing it. Install it only if you’re ready to deal with such problems. In case you don’t like OmniROM then you can always use the NANDROID backup file and restore it to its previous state.
Read the preparation guide below first, before getting to the installation part of this article. You’ll learn how to successfully setup your device for the updating process without risking to brick it. Here’s what you need to know:
- Use the guide only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE with model number I9305.
– don’t update any other S3 variant with the files you find here.
- The Galaxy S3 LTE has to be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery image.
- Factory Reset is require for the new ROM to boot correctly.
– this process removes all data from the system partition, while leaving the Internal / External microSD unaffected.
– this step can be found in the tutorial and you shouldn’t skip it.
– it can be skipped only in case your phone already runs on a previous official OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly build.
- Backup data from installed apps using Helium app — Google Play Store link here.
- Backup SMS and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
– root access will be asked for these tools.
- Sync People details and Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
– guide here.
– this will help you save all your important phone numbers and all data can be restored by simply entering the same Gmail account after the ROM is installed.
- The ‘how-to’ part of this post also features the NANDROID ROM Backup for the currently installed OS.
– it will create a restore point for your Galaxy S3 LTE and it shouldn’t be skipped.
> if you decide to skip this step and then the device doesn’t boot with the new ROM, then you won’t be able to easily restore your device to a working state.
- Check the phone’s battery power and make sure that the charge level is over 50%, so that you’ll prevent your device from switching off in the middle of the updating process.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- This is a tutorial for advanced users, don’t skip any steps and make sure to read the entire post before starting the installation.
- Neither we nor the developers of OmniROM can be held responsible in case your lose important data or brick the device.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully update your phone with one of newest KitKat custom ROMs.
How to install OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightlies for Galaxy S3 LTE I9305:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
– download the latest possible zip file.
- Download Gapps for KitKat custom ROMs from here.
- Connect the device with computer and then move both zip files to its internal storage.
– disconnect the device from computer when all files are copied successfully.
- Power off the smartphone now.
- Boot the Galaxy S3 LTE in CWM Recovery Mode.
– those who don’t know how to do it, then you can use the info here.
- Now, first thing that you need to do is to create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
– select ‘backup and restore’ option, save the file and then continue to the next step when the backup process is complete.
- Next, apply Factory Reset:
– select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
- Flash the OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly zip:
– select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option.
– find the custom ROM zip and confirm its installation.
> don’t press any buttons until the installation is complete.
- Select again the ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option and flash the Gapps zip too.
- When all files are installed, return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your Galaxy S3 LTE in normal mode now.
> the first boot process will take some time before it shows the main home screen.
> don’t press any buttons.
- Enter the Google Account info when the home screen of your new OmniROM Nightly appears.
- Now you can begin to test all of the new features and things that were added by this custom ROM.
I hope that you did manage to update your Galaxy S3 LTE and that you know now how to flash such custom ROMs. In case you have any problems with the installation process, then you should ask for extra help in comments and we will try to come up with solution for whatever troubles you experience. Make sure to leave a detailed comment so that we will be able to come up with the best solutions.
If you want to learn more about OmniROM and their work, then you can visit their web page here.
NOTE: in case the first boot process of this new custom ROM takes too long to complete and the device doesn’t boot in normal mode, then you should remove its battery. Re-insert the battery after a few seconds pass by and then you will have to repeat the entire tutorial without skipping any steps.
In case you don’t like this new custom ROM, then you can always restore your smartphone to its previous OS using the NANDROID Backup files created in step 6. Use the section below for any other questions.