Install OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightlies for Google Nexus 5
The Nexus 5 smartphone already packs the AOSP Android 4.4 KitKat as stock OS, but there are user who prefer to flash custom ROMs for their device in order to get access to tons of other customization tools.
This post contains all the info that you need in order to successfully flash the latest build of OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly for Nexus 5. Read the entire tutorial and make sure that you won’t skip any steps, so that you’ll manage to complete the installation in no time without bricking the device.
OmniROM is a custom ROM that has been created by Xplodwild, Chainfire and Dees_troy, all of them are Recognized XDA members and developers. For this custom ROM that are plenty of other contributors who are working on testing and releasing Nightly builds for your daily usage. Note that this ROM is still in its development stage and you should use it only for testing purposes at the moment.
OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly build adds support for multi-window, multi-workspace, flippable quick settings panel, a new minimal incoming call alert, per-app permissions control, etc. More info about the new additions can be found at the custom ROM blog here.
For this new ROM to install correctly at your first attempt, you have to read the preparation guide below:
- use this post only with the Google Nexus 5 smartphone.
- don’t attempt to update any other device using the files that I’ve posted below.
- your Nexus 5 should be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery image.
- a NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM is required before continuing to the installation part of this post.
- this will set a restore point for your phone and you can use it in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
> don’t skip this step.
> in case your device already runs on a previous OmniROM KitKat Nightly build then you can skip the backup, but note that you won’t be able to repair the device in case the new ROM doesn’t boot correctly.
- Factory Reset is required, which means that you will lose all data stored on the system partition.
- factory reset doesn’t affect the contents stored on your phone’s internal storage.
> in case your device sports an older but official OmniROM KitKat Nightly build, then you can skip the Factory Reset.
> in case you do skip the Factory Reset and your phone doesn’t boot with the new ROM, then you will have to repeat the entire tutorial or use the NANDROID ROM Backup file to restore the firmware and give up on installing OmniROM.
- you can backup data from installed applications using Helium tool — Google Play Store link here.
- backup SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings using these small utilities: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- root access will be needed for some of these tools.
- sync your Contacts info with your Gmail account before starting the installation.
- guide here.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- this is a guide for advanced users, read the entire post and don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed below.
- check the battery charge level of your phone and make sure that it is over 50%, it will prevent the device from switching off while you’re flashing this new custom ROM.
- note that we cannot be blamed in case you brick your phone or lose any data files.
- for any extra questions, use the comments field at the end of this post.
Since you’ve gone past all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly for Nexus 5:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
- make sure to sort the files by ‘last modified’ in order to download the latest build possible.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4 ROMs from here.
- Connect your device with your PC and move both downloaded zip files to its internal storage.
- do not unzip the archived files.
- disconnect the phone from your PC when the new files are copied.
- Power off your smartphone after the files moved.
- Boot your Nexus 5 in CWM Recovery mode.
- First thing that you need to do is to create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
- select ‘backup and restore’ option, name the file and then save it on your device’s internal storage.
- after you’re done with the backup, continue to the next step.
- Next, apply the Factory Reset:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm the process.
- Now you can flash the new OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and find the custom ROM file.
- confirm the installation and then wait several minutes for the installation to complete.
> don’t press any buttons until all files are flashed.
- After the ROM is installed, repeat step 8 and flash the Gapps zip as well.
- When all files are installed, return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your Nexus 5 in normal mode now.
- note that the first boot process takes a while to complete, which is why you should wait.
- Enter the Google account when all files are installed, then start testing this new ROM.
If the first boot process takes more than ten minutes to load all files and fails or the device enters into a boot loop, then you should know that you have to repeat the entire tutorial once again. In case you do repeat the tutorial, then you should make sure not to skip any steps.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to flash a brand new Android 4.4 custom ROM for your Nexus 5 smartphone.
If you don’t like this new ROM, then you can always choose to restore your device to its previous OS using the NANDROID ROM backup file created in step 6. For any other questions use the comments field below.