Flash OmniROM Unofficial build for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G (Android 4.3 JB Custom ROM)
OmniROM is a brand new project that is currently under development by a team composed of XDA users, Xplodwild, Chainfire and Dees_troy. In this post you’ll find the unofficial build of OmniROM not the final release, as there is still a lot of work in progress.
If you want to learn more about this new custom ROM called OmniROM then you can take a look at its development web page here. For this new custom ROM to successfully install on your Galaxy S2 I9100G you will first need to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only for the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G device. This is the TI OMAP variant of the SGS2.
- Your smartphone has to be rooted, factory unlocked and running a custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP.
- The tutorial will tell you to ‘factory reset’ the phone, which is why you need to know that the system partition will be wiped in the process.
- Internal / external storage will not be affected by the ‘factory reset’.
- If you want to backup data from installed apps then you can use Helium (here) or Titanium Backup (here).
- Backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for some of these apps.
- Sync your Contacts data and People details with your default Gmail account.
- Before installing the new ROM you should create a full NANDROID Backup of your current OS.
- the OmniROM build is not in its final stage and it might work as you’d expect it to, which is why you might want to create a restore point.
- Read all the instructions and make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed in this post.
- This guide is for advanced Android users. Don’t use this post in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- We cannot be held responsible in case you brick your phone or you lose any data files in the process.
- Make sure that your device’s battery left before it completely switches off. The charge level should be over 50%.
- in case your device powers off in the middle of the updating process, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- For any other questions, use the comments field at the end of this post.
How to install OmniROM Android 4.3 unofficial build for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G:
- Download the custom ROM from here.
- Download the Gapps zip for Android 4.3 JB custom ROMs from here.
- Connect your Galaxy S2 I9100G to your computer, then copy both zip files on your device’s internal storage.
- the files should be copied to your phone’s root storage.
- do not unzip the archived files, as you will have to simply flash the files as they are.
- if you downloaded directly on your phone, then you can simply ignore this step.
- Disconnect the phone from computer after the files are copied, then power it off completely.
- Boot your smartphone in custom Recovery Mode:
- do it by pressing Volume Up, Home and Power all at the same time.
- release the buttons only when the custom Recovery screen appears.
- Create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your device.
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, then you should save the file on your phone’s internal / external storage.
- TWRP: press Backup, name the file and swipe to confirm backup process.
> this will set a restore point for your device, one that can be used in case you brick the phone or lose any important data in the process.
- Now, apply the factory reset for your device:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option, then confirm the process.
- TWRP: press Wipe, then swipe to factory reset your SGS2.
> if you skip this step, then your device might not boot with the new ROM and then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial.
> remember that ‘factory reset’ removes only the contents from your device’s system partition. When done with this step, continue to the next one and learn how to flash the custom ROM.
- Next, flash the new OmniROM Android 4.3 unofficial build for Galaxy S2 I9100G device:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the OmniROM zip file and confirm its installation.
- TWRP: press the Install option, then you need to browse your smartphone for the custom OmniROM zip. Load it in TWRP and then swipe to install the new ROM file.
> do not press any buttons until the OmniROM files are successfully installed.
- When the ROM is installed, repeat step 8 actions and flash the Gapps zip.
- after that you can continue to the next step.
- Return to the main CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode menu and you should reboot your device.
- wait for the first boot process to load all its required files, such process might take more than ten minutes to complete.
- don’t press any buttons until the first boot process is complete.
- Enter your Google Account details and take control over your smartphone right away. The new ROM installation is complete.
In case the device doesn’t boot in normal mode, it enters into a boot loop or it displays too many force close errors, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again. In case you are unable to complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments and we will come up with a viable solution for your problems.
Note that this OmniROM build doesn’t contain SuperSU, which means that it will not preserve ROOT. That’s why you should use the info listed in this XDA thread here and learn how to flash SuperSU and re-apply root for this custom ROM.
In case you don’t like the new ROM, then you can always choose to restore your device to its previous state using the custom Recovery Mode and the file created in step 6.