Flash ParanoidAndroid 4.2.1 Jelly Bean ROM for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100
The ParanoidAndroid ROM has reached its third full variant and it is based on Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. Read this post and you will learn how to successfully flash this custom ROM for your Samsung Galaxy S2 with the model number I9100, the Exynos phone. Make sure to read the entire tutorial and not to skip any steps that I have listed in this post, as that will result in a failed updating attempt.
Recently the project designed by the PA team has been coded AOSPA 3+ and it is based on AOSP Android OS along with some borrowed features from CyanogenMod and other custom ROMs. This is a custom OS which uses the Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean platform and it should work great for your device. You might find some errors while using the Camera and some other areas of your device that are Exynos based.
ParanoidAndroid / AOSPA 3+ brings the tablet-phone hybrid UI, Google Now, stock kernel of Jelly Bean, Project Butter, Torch, CM File Manager, a brand new boot animation and tons of other features. More info can be found at XDA here. In order to make sure that you successfully flash this new custom ROM for your Galaxy S2 I9100, then you should read the preparation steps below:
- This is a guide that works only with the I9100 model version of the Samsung Galaxy S2. Don’t install the files you find in this post on any other different Android device.
- Your phone should be rooted and it should have the CWM Recovery installed. Without these you won’t be able to flash the new custom ROM.
- It is highly recommended for you to create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM. It will act as a restore point for your smartphone and you will be able to use it in case something goes wrong while installing the new OS.
- The tutorial will tell you factory reset the phone, which is why you will need to backup SMS, Call logs and other data stored on your phone’s /system partition. Note that the internal and/ or external SD cards won’t be affected by the factory reset, which means that all data stored on them won’t be wiped in the process.
- These apps might help you backup some of the /system data: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Root access has to be granted for some of these tools.
- Make sure to sync your Contacts with the Gmail account you’re using as default with your device. A guide that teaches you how to do that is listed here.
- The phone’s battery should be charged and the power level has to be over 50%. It prevents your device from switching off in the middle of the updating process.
- Read the entire post and use it only if you know what you’re doing. Note that we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone or you lose any data in the process.
These were all the preparation steps you had to go over before getting to the tutorial. If you have any other questions, post them in the comments field at the end of this post.
How to install ParanoidAndroid 4.2.1 Jelly Bean on the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100:
- Download the AOSPA 3+ custom ROM from HERE. Save this file on your computer without extracting its contents.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.1 from HERE. Don’t unzip its contents.
- Connect your device to computer and move both files on to your phone’s internal SDcard. Disconnect the SGS2 from your computer when the files are successfully copied.
- Power off your phone.
- Boot the Galaxy S2 into CWM Recovery mode by pressing and holding simultaneously Volume Up, Home and Power buttons. Release the buttons when the CWM Recovery mode appears.
- When CWM Recovery appears select ‘backup and restore’. Create a NANDROID backup of your currently installed ROM. This is the restore point for your device and it can be used in case the ParanoidAndroid OS is acting up or your device doesn’t boot with it.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option from the main menu of the custom Recovery Mode. Confirm.
- Select ‘install zip from SDcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the PA I9100 ROM zip file and confirm that you want to flash it. After the ROM is installed you can continue to the next step.
- Select once again the ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option and then install the Gapps zip. Confirm.
- When both files have been successfully installed, you should return to the main menu of the recovery mode.
- Select ‘reboot system now’. Wait several minutes until the ParanoidAndroid 3 Jelly Bean ROM completes its first boot.
- Enter your Google account credentials and take control over your device.
That’s it, you’ve managed to successfully flash a brand new ROM on your smartphone. If you have any other questions please post them in the comments section.
NOTE: in case the ParanoidAndroid 4.2.2 custom ROM doesn’t install at the first attempt, then you should repeat the entire tutorial once again and the second time you have to make sure that all steps have been applied successfully.
In case you don’t like the new AOSPA / PA operating system or you don’t like how your device works with it, then you can use CWM Recovery mode and restore the Nandroid backup of your previously installed ROM. These were all the instructions that I had for you and I hope that you found this tutorial helpful.