Flash ParanoidAndroid AOSPA 3+ for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 (Android 4.3 Jelly Bean custom ROM)
The ParanoidAndroid team is continuously working on new builds for the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 smartphone. Now, they’ve reached the 3.99-RC2 build, one that is based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean AOSP. Use this tutorial if you want to learn how to successfully update your SGS2 with this brand new custom ROM.
Use this custom ROM and you will be able to customize navigation and status bar for any applications using any color combination, choose from either smartphone, phablet or tablet layouts. Hybrid mode allows you to run apps in tablet mode, while others can be launched in tablet mode.
PIE Mode feature when enabled will hide the navigation and status bars so that you’ll be able to use more of your device’s screen, this is a great feature for devices with smaller screens. PIE Mode Controls can be used with a gesture swiping where you’ll get all info that would normally be displayed on your navigation bar.
HALO is another great feature developed by ParanoidAndroid, it allows you to set different apps to display notifications and be accessed right from the edge of your screen. More info about the features and functions contained within the PA Android 4.3 custom ROM for I9100 can be found here. Also, visit the developer’s G+ page and get the latest info on their current builds and upcoming work.
For this new custom ROM to install successfully on your device you will first need to take a look at the guidelines below:
- This article works exclusively with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100.
- don’t try to update any other smartphones with the files you find in this post.
- Your phone has to be factory unlocked, rooted and CWM or TWRP custom Recovery should be installed on your device.
- For this ROM to install correctly, you will be required to apply a factory reset process. This will delete all contents from your device’s system partition.
- Factory Reset will not remove data from internal / external storage.
- Users who want to backup data from installed apps can use the following utilities for Android: Helium – link here / Titanium Backup – link here.
- SMS text messages, APN Internet Settings and Call logs can be saved using the following apps: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is required for some of these apps.
- Backup all phone numbers that are saved on your device by syncing it with your default Gmail account.
- if you don’t how to do that, then you can use the instructions listed here.
- Before starting the update, make sure to create a full NANDROID Backup of the ROM that is currently installed on your device.
- this will set a restore point for your device and it can be used in case the new ROM doesn’t install correctly or you simply don’t like how it works with your smartphone.
- Read all info I’ve listed in this post and make sure that you don’t skip any steps.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Use this guide only if you’re an advanced Android user and you know what you’re doing.
- Do not blame us in case you lose data or brick your Galaxy S2 I9100.
- Check the phone’s battery power level and make sure that there is more than 50% charge left before it switches off.
- If you have any other questions or you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments.
I think that these were all the guidelines you had to go over before continuing to the tutorial part of this post.
How to install ParanoidAndroid ROM based on Android 4.3 JB for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100:
- Download the PA Android 4.3 custom ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for this custom ROM from here.
- Connect the Galaxy S2 to your computer, then move both files to your device’s internal storage.
- if you downloaded the files directly on your phone, then you can ignore this step. Just make sure the location where the files are saved.
- do not unzip the files.
- Disconnect the phone from your computer, then power it off completely.
- Boot your Galaxy S2 in custom Recovery Mode:
- it can be done by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons at the same time.
- release the buttons when the CWM / TWRP Recovery menu appears.
- Create a NANDROID Backup file for the currently installed ROM.
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, then save the file on your device. Confirm.
- TWRP: press Backup, rename the file and swipe to confirm the backup process.
- Now you need to apply a Factory Reset for your phone:
- CWM: use the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, then confirm this process.
- TWRP: press Wipe, then swipe to confirm Factory Reset.
> if you skip this step then your device might not boot in normal mode and, eventually you will return to this step.
- Next, install the latest ParanoidAndroid JB ROM for your Galaxy S2 I9100:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the PA I9100 3.99 RC2 zip and confirm its installation.
- TWRP: press Install, browse your internal storage and find the PA I9100 3.99 RC2 ROM zip. Load it in TWRP and confirm the installation by sliding the blue button shown at the bottom of the screen.
> don’t press any buttons until the installation is complete.
- Install Gapps zip file now using the same actions as in step 8.
- When you’ve managed to install both zip files successfully, return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your Galaxy S2 now in normal mode.
- the first boot process will take several minutes to complete and you shouldn’t press any buttons until the home screen appears.
- Enter your Google Account info when the ParanoidAndroid custom ROM shows its login screen. Take control over your device and start testing and customizing it to get the best Android 4.3 Jelly Bean experience.
Note that in case the first boot process of PA ROM takes more than 10 minutes to complete the boot, the devices enters into a boot loop or it gets stuck at the Samsung boot animation, then you will be forced to power off the phone completely. Remove its battery, then re-insert it back into its place and repeat the entire tutorial. Ask for more help in comments in case you cannot complete the installation.