Despite the fact that the Nexus 4 smartphone already runs the latest stock Android 4.3 AOSP, developers are continuing their work based on it and adding their custom builds to the multitude of custom N4 ROMs. Use this guide if you want to learn how to install the smallest Android 4.3 custom on such device.
SlimBean Android 4.3 is smaller than other custom ROMs and it is intended as an OS that uses a small percentage of your device’s memory. More info about it can be found here. If you want to correctly install this new ROM for your phone, then you should take a look at the preparation guide below:
- use this tutorial only for the Google Nexus 4 smartphone.
- Don’t attempt to update any other device with it.
- Make sure that your device has its bootloader unlocked, it is rooted and it runs CWM or TWRP Recovery image. Without these you cannot flash any custom ROMs.
- In the tutorial you’ll find the ‘factory reset’ step. This will delete all contents from your phone’s system drive, while internal storage will remain unaffected.
- If you want to save data from installed apps, then you can use the following apps for Android: Titanium Backup or Helium app from Google Play.
- Backup SMS, APN Internet Settings or Call Logs info with the following apps for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access will be needed for some of these tools.
- Sync your Contacts with your Gmail account, so that you won’t lose any important phone numbers.
- USB debugging should be enabled from Developer Options.
- It is highly recommended for you to create a NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is now running on your device. You’ll find this step in the tutorial.
- This guide is for advanced users, do not flash this custom ROM if you’re a beginner. Read this entire tutorial and don’t skip any steps.
- Note that we cannot be blamed if you brick the phone or lose any data files.
- The phone’s battery power should be over 50%, so that the device won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
If you cannot complete the installation then you can ask for more help in comments.
How to flash SlimBean Android 4.3 Stable ROM for Google Nexus 4:
- Download the ROM zip from here.
– do not unzip the file and make sure to download the latest build.
- Download Gapps for SlimBean ROMs from here.
- Connect your Nexus 4 with your computer, then move both zip files to its internal storage.
– disconnect the phone from PC when the files are transferred.
- Power off the Nexus 4 now.
- Boot your device into Bootloader Mode and then into Custom Recovery Mode.
– if you don’t know how to do it, then you can use this info here to learn.
– both CWM and TWRP Recoveries are working with this tutorial.
- First you need to create a ROM NANDROID Backup that will set a restore point for your smartphone:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, backup the file to your internal sdcard. Confirm.
– TWRP: press Backup and then complete the process.
- Next, wipe data and factory reset your Nexus 4:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm
– TWRP: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
- Now you can install the SlimBean Android 4.3 Stable ROM:
– CWM: select the ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option. Find SlimBean ROM and complete the installation.
– TWRP: press Install, then browse your internal storage for the SlimBean zip. Confirm the process.
- After the new Jelly Bean 4.3 custom ROM files are installed, return to the main Recovery screen.
- Reboot your smartphone now into normal mode.
– note that the first boot process takes a while before loading all the required files.
– if the first boot isn’t completed in more than 10 minutes, then you will have to repeat the entire tutorial without skipping any steps.
- Enter your Google Account details when the home screen appears.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully update your Nexus 4 device with a custom Android 4.3 ROM.
If you don’t like this new ROM then you can always use the NANDROID Backup files of your previously installed ROM and restore your device to its original state.