The team behind SlimBean custom ROMs has launched the first build based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean AOSP. Use this tutorial and learn how to successfully update your smartphone with this tutorial. Remember that this is a tutorial for more advanced users.
SlimBean ROMs are based on Android 4.3 AOSP, CM, ParanoidAndroid, AOKP and others. It is slimmer ROM as it doesn’t use that much memory, which means that it is a great alternative for older devices like the first Galaxy S generation. More info about this ROM can be found here at the developer’s web page.
The Build 1 of SlimBean 4.3 is the first stable one based on Google’s latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. Before starting the installation you should read the guidelines below:
- Use this guide only for the Samsung Galaxy S model number I9000.
- Don’t attempt to use the files you find here on any other Android device, as you will end up bricking it.
- The Galaxy S I9000 you’re about to update should be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP.
- The tutorial will ask you to ‘wipe data’ and ‘factory reset’ your device. This will allow for a clean install and you shouldn’t skip this step.
- Backup all installed applications data using Helium app from Google Play Store or Titanium Backup tool.
- if you’ll use Titanium Backup app, then you have to change backup/ restore path to ‘legacy’ from app settings menu.
- Backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. You will need to grant root access for some of these apps.
- Backup your Contacts data and saved phone numbers by syncing such data with your Gmail account.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- This is a guide for more advanced users and you shouldn’t blame us in case something goes wrong and you lose data in the process.
- It is better for you to create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your smartphone. This sets a restore point for your device and it can be used in case you brick the phone.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery has enough power left before it switches off completely.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this post. Do not skip any steps that I have listed and us the comments section to ask for any extra help.
How to flash SlimBean Android 4.3 Build 1 ROM for Samsung Galaxy S I9000:
- Download the custom ROM from here.
- make sure to download the latest build.
- don’t extract the archived contents.
- Download Slim-Gapps zip file from here.
- do not unzip the files.
- Connect your Galaxy S I9000 with your computer and move both zip files to your phone’s internal storage.
- when the files are copied with success, disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off your device now.
- Boot the Galaxy S into Custom Recovery Mode now:
- both CWM and TWRP Recoveries are working with this guide.
- First thing you need to do is to create a NANDROID Backup for your currently installed ROM:
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, then use the backup option and complete the process.
- TWRP: press Backup, then select the system parts you want to save. Confirm.
- Next, apply the factory reset:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
- TWRP: press Wipe, then Factory Reset button. Confirm.
- this process will delete only the files from the system partition, while the internal storage won’t be affected.
- Since you’ve applied the steps above, now you can finally flash the new SlimBean ROM. Here’s how to:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Slim galaxysmtd ROM zip and confirm the installation.
- TWRP: press Install, then find the custom ROM zip. Confirm the installation.
- wait for the new SlimBean 4.3 ROM to finish installing, then continue to the next step.
- After the custom ROM has been flashed, repeat step 8 actions and flash the Slim-Gapps zip.
- Return to the main custom Recovery menu when both zip files have been installed.
- Reboot your smartphone now.
- Enter the Google Account details when the home screen of SlimBean Android 4.3 ROM appears.
Take control over your device and start testing all of its features now.
If the first boot process after you complete the installation takes too long to complete or the device doesn’t boot into normal mode, then you should power it off completely. Boot again into CWM / TWRP Recovery and repeat the entire tutorial once again. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps and that you ask for more help in comments.