SlimBean Android 4.3 custom ROM is now available for the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE and you can use this post in order to learn how to successfully update the device. Read this entire post and make sure not to skip any steps that I have listed below.
SlimBean JB 4.3 Stable is the first version released by SlimROMs team that is stable and not a Nightly or other experimental build. However, note that you might still experience some errors and bugs while using this new ROM, which is why it would be best if you could post them in our comments section.
More info about the SlimBean custom ROM can be found here. Note that this build of SlimBean is based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and it borrows components from multiple other popular custom ROMs like CyanogenMod. Before starting the installation you should first take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only for the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE model number I9505.
- Do not attempt to use this guide for any other Android devices. This guide doesn’t work with any other Galaxy S4 LTE from United States either
- Your phone has to be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery image such as CWM or TWRP.
- The tutorial will ask you to apply a factory reset for your device. This means that you will lose data only from system partition, while all the other files stored on internal / external storage won’t be affected by this process.
- Backup data from installed applications using Helium app (here) from Google Play Store.
- you can also choose to use Titanium Backup, but that’s a tool for more advanced users.
- Backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Grant root access for these apps.
- Sync Contacts data and phone numbers by syncing all this data with your Gmail account.
- if you don’t know how to do it, then you can use this guide here.
- It would be best for you to create a full NANDROID Backup of your Galaxy S4 currently installed ROM. This sets a restore point for your device and you can use it in case the new ROM doesn’t boot. You’ll find this step in the tutorial too.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- This guide is for advanced users, do not attempt to flash any files in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- Note that we cannot be held responsible in case you brick your device or lose any important data in the process.
- In case you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash SlimBean Android 4.3 Stable custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE I9505:
- Download the Slim jfltexx 4.3 stable ROM from here.
- Download Slim-Gapps file for this ROM from here.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer using the USB data cable. Move both zip files to your smartphone’s internal storage.
- disconnect the Galaxy S4 LTE from computer when the files are transferred with success.
- Power off your smartphone.
- Boot it now into Custom Recovery Mode.
- both CWM and TWRP Recoveries are working with this guide.
- if you don’t know how to boot Recovery Mode, then you should use this guide here.
- First thing that you need to do is to create a NANDROID Backup of your current ROM:
- CWM: use the ‘backup and restore’ then save the file to your phone’s internal storage.
- TWRP: press Backup, then select the system partition files you wish to save. Confirm.
> it is highly recommended for you to create such backup file, as it can be used in case your device doesn’t boot after you install the new ROM, then you can use this backup to restore the device to its previous state.
- Now you have to apply a ‘factory reset’:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
- TWRP: press Wipe, then swipe the Factory Reset blue button shown at the bottom of the TWRP screen.
- Now you can finally flash the new custom ROM for your device:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Slim jfltexx 4.3 ROM zip and confirm the installation.
- TWRP: press Install, then find the custom ROM zip. Confirm that you want to install it by swiping the blue button in TWRP.
> wait until all files are flashed and don’t press any buttons until the process is complete.
- After the ROM has been installed, repeat step 8 actions and flash Slim Gapps zip too.
- Now that all files have been installed with success, then you should return to the main custom Recovery Mode menu.
- Reboot your Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 in normal mode:
- for CWM select ‘reboot system now’.
- for TWRP press Reboot then System.
> note that the first boot process of this new ROM takes a while before loading all the new files.
- Enter your Google Account details when the home screen of SlimBean Android 4.3 appears.
- take control over your device, start customizing its appearance and install all your favorite apps.
These were the steps that you had to follow in order to update your Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 with the latest stable build of SlimBean Jelly Bean 4.3 custom ROM. If you have any other questions, then you should post them in comments.
In case you don’t like how this new custom ROM works with your smartphone, then you should know that you can restore the device to its previous ROM using the NANDROID Backup file created in step 6. If you do intend to return your Galaxy S4 LTE to its previous state, then you should know that you need to use the same custom Recovery Mode.
However, if you do like how SlimBean works with your Galaxy S4, then you should start customizing all of its interface parts and look for apps that can improve your overall Android 4.3 experience.
Remember that SlimBean Android 4.3 ROM is a lightweight ROM and it uses very little memory, which means that your smartphone shouldn’t experience any lag nor major bugs. However, if you find any major errors or other bugs, then you should tell us in comments or go directly to SlimROMs web page and contact the developers.