SmartDroid KitKat is a brand new custom ROM that has been released for the Galaxy S3 I9300. Use this tutorial in order to learn how to successfully flash a brand new KitKat ROM for your smartphone.
This ROM is based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat AOSP, it doesn’t contain any bloatware files, but it adds some CM 11 Nightly elements. Also, there are several other components that have been created by the SmartDroid’s developing team. More info about this release can be found at XDA thread here.
Before starting the installation you should read the guidelines below:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9300.
- do not attempt to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this post.
> do not flash this zip on any other Galaxy S3 models.
- Your phone has to be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery build.
- TWRP Recovery will also work, but we didn’t manage to test it.
- A NANDROID Backup file has to be created for the installed ROM, so that you will have a restore point ready for your device.
- do not skip this step when you reach it in the tutorial part of this post.
- Factory Reset is also needed for this tutorial, one that will ensure that you will manage to complete installation successfully at your first attempt.
- Factory Reset wipes all data from system partition.
- the internal / external storage won’t be affected by the tutorial.
- Backup data from installed applications, SMS text messages and other similar data files using Helium tool for Android — download and learn how to use it by visiting the tutorial here.
- Sync Contacts data and people details with your default Gmail account.
- more info on how to do it is listed here.
- Enable USB Debugging option from Developer Options menu.
- Check your phone’s battery power and make sure that it has at least 505 left before the device it switches off.
- This is a guide for advanced users, do not blame us in case you brick the phone or lose any important data files in the process.
- If you cannot complete the guide, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this post and learn how to update your device with a brand new custom KitKat ROM.
How to install SuperDroid Android 4.4.2 Custom ROM for Galaxy S3 I9300:
- Download the custom ROM file from here.
- Download Gapps for this custom ROM for this particular custom ROM from here.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer and then move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
- after the files are complete you should disconnect the device from your PC.
> do not unzip the archives.
- Power off your phone and then boot it in CWM Recovery Mode.
> more info here on how to boot recovery in case you don’t know how to do it.
- First thing that you have to complete is to create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
- select ‘backup and restore’, then name the file and complete process.
> do not skip this step.
- Now you should Factory Reset your device:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and then confirm.
> do not skip the step.
- Next, flash the new SmartDroid AOSP KitKat for your Galaxy S3 I9300:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard.
> find the ROM file and confirm the process.
- After the ROM is installed you need to repeat step 7 actions and install Gapps zip.
- Get back to the main custom Recovery screen when done with the installation.
- Reboot your phone in normal mode now.
- note that the first boot process of your device will take a while to complete, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until the main menu appears.
- Use your Google profile to take control over your Galaxy S3 and its new ROM.
- now you can finally start testing all the new features and functions.
NOTE: if the first boot process fails, it takes more than 10 minutes without doing anything or it enters into a boot loop, then you should try to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
This is a guide that should be completed easily, but in case you have problems with the tutorial you should use the comments field below and ask for more help.