Flash Unofficial AOKP 4.3 Jelly Bean Preview ROM for Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
An unofficial build of AOKP Jelly Bean based on AOSP Android 4.3 has been leaked for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4. You can use this article in order to learn how to flash the AOKP 4.3 Preview ROM successfully without bricking the device. More info about this release is listed here.
For this new AOKP 4.3 test build to install without problems on your phone, you will first need to take a look at these preparation instructions:
- Use this post only with the Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy S4. Don’t try to update any other different Galaxy S4 variant with the files you find here.
- The Galaxy S4 Verizon you’re about to update has to factory unlocked and rooted. Also, you need to use CWM or TWRP Recovery images. Without the phone meeting these requirements you cannot complete the install.
- In the tutorial you’ll find the ‘factory reset’ step and it will ask you to wipe the data from your phone’s system partition. This means that installed applications, contacts, SMS text messages and other similar files will be removed completely from your device.
- Factory Reset won’t change the contents stored on your device’s internal or external SD storage.
- If you want to save some data from installed apps then you can use Titanium Backup utility (here) or the Helium app from Google Play Store (here).
- If you wish to backup SMS text messages, APN internet Settings or the Call Logs info then use these tools for Android phones and tablets: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Some of these small tools will require root access.
- You will also have to sync the Contacts info with your Gmail account, so that you won’t lose any important phone numbers in the process. If you don’t know how to do it, then use the info listed here.
- Enable the USB Debugging option from Developer Options. In case this menu isn’t shown in Settings, then you need to open About Phone then scroll down and tap seven times on the Build Number section; it will enable Developer Options.
- Check the phone’s battery power levels and make sure that these are over 50%. It will prevent the phone from switching off in the middle of installation process.
- Do not skip any steps and read the entire post before starting the install.
- Note that this is a custom ROM based on Android 4.3 but it is still in its early development stage, which means that it features errors and bugs. That is why you should use this post only if you know what you’re doing.
- Do not blame us if you brick the phone or you lose any important files in the process.
Now that you know all that, continue to the installation guide and learn how to get a custom Android 4.3 ROM on your SGS4 device. Remember to use the comments section in case you cannot complete the tutorial, as we will offer you support and help you finish the installation.
How to install AOKP 4.3 Jelly Bean Unofficial ROM for Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4:
- Download the AOKP 4.3 test ROM file from here.
- do not unzip the contents of the file.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
- do not unzip.
- Connect your VZW Galaxy S4 with your PC via USB data cable.
- Now move both files to your phone’s internal SDcard. When the transfer is complete, disconnect the smartphone from PC.
- Power off the Galaxy S4 now.
- Boot your device into CWM or TWRP Recovery Mode. If you don’t know how to boot SGS4 into custom Recovery mode then use the info listed here.
- it depends on which custom Recovery image you have installed on your phone.
- both will work just find with this tutorial.
- When you’re at the main CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode menu you will need to create a NANDROID backup for the currently installed ROM:
- CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’. Confirm.
- TWRP Recovery: press Backup, then select the system files you wish to save and confirm.
> this process will set a restore point for your device and it can be used in case the new ROM doesn’t boot into normal mode after installation or, in case you simply don’t like the performance of your device with AOKP 4.3 preview ROM installed.
- Next, factory reset your device for a clean installation of AOKP 4.3 Jelly Bean Preview custom ROM:
- CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
- TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
- Now you can finally start the AOKP 4.3 JB preview ROM install process:
- CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM file and confirm the installation.
- TWRP Recovery: press Install, then browse the internal storage for the ROM zip. Confirm the install process using the blue button that’s shown at the bottom of the recovery screen.
> don’t press any buttons and wait until the process is complete.
- When the custom ROM is flashed with success, you need to repeat step 9 and install Gapps zip.
- Return to the main menu of Custom Recovery mode when all files have been successfully installed.
- Now you can reboot your device into normal mode.
- Enter the Google Account into for your phone to load the home screen of AOKP Android 4.3 JB custom ROM. That’s it, these were all the steps you had to take.
Now that you’ve managed to complete the installation, start testing all the new features.
If the first boot process after installing AOKP 4.3 Unofficial ROM takes more than ten minutes to complete or, in case the SGS4 Verizon enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again. Use the comments field for extra help.
If you don’t like this new ROM then use the backup files created in step 7 and restore your device to your previously installed ROM.