Flash Unofficial AOKP Android 4.3.1 Nightly for Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 LTE
AOKP Android 4.3.1 Unofficial ROM build has been launched for the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE and you can use this tutorial in order to learn how to update the device. Read this entire post and you will be able to flash all files successfully without bricking the device.
Custom ROMs are usually installed by users who don’t want to use Samsung’s TouchWiz UI and get rid of that bloated interface. AOKP comes with hundreds of custom options that allows users to configure the phones so that it will best suit their needs. I know that this is no an official AOKP build, but you can find some basic info about these versions at AOKP official web site here.
This is not an official build released by the AOKP team, but an unofficial build that is currently destined to be used by users who want to test the latest AOKP features and Android 4.3.1 AOSP ROM. It packs all AOKP functions and features from the official builds released until now for other supported smartphones. Use this post only for testing purposes and only if you want to tinker with your device.
Read the guidelines below in order to correctly configure your device for the updating process:
- This tutorial works only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 LTE. Do not attempt to flash the files you find here on any other Android smartphone.
- Don’t update any Galaxy S4 US editions with the files you find here, as you will surely brick their firmware.
- Your device needs to be on an factory unlocked bootloader, rooted and running a custom Recovery image.
- both CWM and TWRP Recoveries are supported by this guide.
- The tutorial will ask you to wipe data and factory reset the device. This will delete all files stored on your device’s system partition.
- Internal / external storage won’t be affected by Factory Reset.
- If you want to backup data from installed applications use the following tools for Android: Helium (here) or Titanium Backup (here).
- Backup data from SMS, Call logs info and APN Internet Settings using these apps: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access will be required for some of these tools.
- Sync the Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- IMPORTANT: Create a NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is now installed on your Galaxy S4 LTE device.
- this will set a restore point that you can use in case the new AOKP unofficial Android 4.3.1 nightly ROM doesn’t boot or it runs with multiple errors.
- the same backup step is listed in the tutorial, so you shouldn’t skip it.
- Enable USB Debugging option from Developer Options menu.
- Read all the info listed, then make sure not to skip any steps I’ve listed.
- This guide is for advanced users, do not try to update your device in case you’re a beginner.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case you brick your phone or lose any important data files.
- Check your phone’s battery power level and make sure that it has at least 50% charge before it switches off. In case your device powers off in middle of the installation process, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- If you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments.
These were all the guidelines you had to go over before continuing to the next part of this post. Remember that this is an unofficial AOKP build and it might not run as smooth as you’d expected it.
How to flash Unofficial AOKP Android 4.3.1 custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE I9505:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3.x custom ROMs from here.
- Connect the Galaxy S4 LTE with your PC via USB cable, then move the zip files on your device’s internal storage.
- after the files are copied, disconnect the device from PC.
- the zips shouldn’t be unzipped.
- Power off the phone now completely.
- Boot the Galaxy S4 LTE in Custom Recovery Mode.
- both CWM and TWRP are supported by this guide.
- if you don’t know how to boot recovery mode, then use this post here to learn.
- First you will need to create the full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your device.
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, then save the file on your device’s internal storage.
- TWRP: press Backup, then select the system files you want to save. Confirm backup.
> this will set a restore point for your device.
- Now you should apply a factory reset:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm the process.
- TWRP: press Wipe, then swipe to factory reset.
> confirm the process and continue to the next step when done.
- Next, flash the custom ROM:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Unofficial AOKP custom ROM zip and confirm its installation.
- TWRP: press Install, then find the custom ROM zip. Confirm the process by swiping the blue button at the bottom of the screen.
> don’t press any buttons until the process is complete.
- When the ROM is installed, you should repeat step 8 and flash Gapps file too.
- After all files are installed, return to the main Custom Recovery Mode menu.
- Reboot your smartphone now in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process of this new ROM takes a while to complete.
- in case the device doesn’t get past the Samsung boot animation, it enters into a boot loop or it displays multiple force close errors, then you will need to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- Enter your Google Account details when the home screen of your new ROM appears.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete the installation and that the new AOKP unofficial Android 4.3.1 Nightly ROM works without problems on your Galaxy S4 LTE device.
In case you don’t like this new custom ROM, then you can always restore your smartphone to its previous OS state using the file created at step 6. These were all the instructions that you had to follow in order to complete the installation of this new ROM on your smartphone. For any other questions, use the comments field below.