Unofficial AOKP Android 4.4.2 ROM is now live for the Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE. Use this post and learn how to successfully install your smartphone with this custom ROM.
This is not an official release by the AOKP team, but a custom one that has been created by an XDA member and developer, infrag. It uses the Android 4.4.2 KitKat AOSP as source for Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE I9305 along with components from AOKP team, also you might find some CyanogenMod, Paranoid Android elements. You’ll learn more about the new features after completing the installation.
In the tutorial you’ll find a step that tells you to create a full NANDROID ROM Backup file, so that you’ll have a restore point for your device, one that can be used in case the new ROM refuses to boot in normal mode.
More info about this release can be found at this XDA thread here. Read the guidelines below first before starting the updating process, so that you will manage to complete the update at your first attempt. Here’s what you need to know:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE model number I9305.
– don’t attempt to update any other Galaxy S3 variants with the files that you will find in this post.
- Your Galaxy S3 has to be rooted and running the latest build of CWM Recovery image.
– TWRP Recovery should work with this post too, but we didn’t manage to test it.
– whichever custom Recovery you use it has to be updated to its latest build.
- Create a full NANDROID Backup of the installed ROM:
– this will set a restore point for your phone, one that can be used in case the new Unofficial AOKP 4.4.2 doesn’t boot in normal mode.
– this step is listed in the tutorial, you won’t miss it.
- A Factory Reset is also required, so that you’ll apply a clean installation for the ROM.
– Factory Reset wipes all data stored in the system partition.
– Internal / External storage data will not be affected by this process.
> the step is listed in the ‘how-to’ guide.
- If you want to backup data from installed apps and SMS text messages from your Galaxy S3 LTE, then you can try to use Helium tool — Guide on how to use it is listed here.
- Sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
– guide here for those that don’t know how to do it.
- Enable USB debugging from Developer Options.
- Read this entire post and don’t skip any steps.
- This is a post for advanced Android users, do not blame us in case you brick the phone or lose any important data in the process.
- Check your device’s battery and make sure that it has at lest 40% power left before it completely switches off.
- For any other questions or extra help you can use the comments field.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next step and update your device.
How to flash Unofficial AOKP Android 4.4.2 ROM for Galaxy S3 LTE I9305:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.2 from here.
- Connect your smartphone with your PC and then move both zip files to its internal storage.
– disconnect the device from computer when all files are copied successfully.
> do not unzip the archived contents.
- Power off your smartphone now and then boot it in CWM Recovery Mode.
– if you don’t know how to Custom Recovery Mode, then you can learn using this post here.
- When you’re at the main CWM / TWRP Recovery screen you should create a full NANDROID ROM Backup for the installed OS:
– select ‘backup and restore’, save the file on your device and confirm process.
- Now you can apply the Factory Reset for your smartphone:
– select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm the process.
– don’t skip this step.
- Next, install the Unofficial AOKP Android 4.4.2 ROM for your Galaxy S3:
– select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then you need to select ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– find the Custom ROM zip and confirm installation.
> don’t press any buttons until the process is complete.
- After the ROM is flashed with success you should repeat step 7 actions and flash the Gapps zip.
- When all files are flashed you need to continue to the next step and return to the main Custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your phone now in normal mode.
> note that the first boot process takes at least several minutes to complete, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until the home screen of Unofficial AOKP Android 4.4.2 screen appears.
> if the first boot doesn’t complete then you will have to repeat the entire tutorial and read the info listed at the end of this post.
- Enter your Google Account info when the home screen appears.
> now you can start testing the new KitKat features and improve your overall KitKat experience.
I think that these were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation of Android 4.4.2 Unofficial AOKP ROM for your Galaxy S3 I9305 LTE. If the first attempt at installing this ROM takes longer than ten minutes or the device doesn’t boot with the ROM, then it would be best for you to retry the installation.
Note that in case you do decide to repeat the guide, then you have to make sure that you don’t skip any steps and you apply Factory Reset. Also, you should try to use the ‘Format /system’ option, too, as that will surely wipe the previous ROM completely.
In case you don’t like how the Unofficial AOKP Android 4.4.2 ROM works with your device, then you can always choose to restore the Galaxy S3 I9305 to its previous OS using the files created at step 5.