Flash Unofficial AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2 Preview Build on Google Nexus 4
This guide will teach you how to update Google Nexus 4 to unofficial AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2 custom ROM. Read the entire post and make sure that you don’t any instructions that I’ve listed in it. Note that this is a preview build of AOKP Android 4.2 and not an official / final release from Android Open Kang Project team.
This preview build of AOKP 4.2 JB comes with numerous customization features and functions for the notifications menu, lockscreen and performance settings. Themes support is also included. At the moment this is not a full AOKP release and that’s why you might find bugs and errors. However, if you’re a power user then you should test this new custom ROM on your Nexus 4.
To be sure that you can indeed flash the AOKP JB 4.2 preview build on your Nexus 4 you should first read the preparation guide below:
- Note that this is a tutorial that only works with the Google Nexus 4 smartphone. Do not think about flashing the custom ROM on any other Android device.
- The bootloader of your phone should be unlocked, the N4 should also be rooted and running a CWM Recovery image. Without these you cannot install this custom ROM.
- It is recommended for you to create a full backup of the currently existing ROM. Remember that you are about to install a preview build of AOKP Android 4.2 Jelly Bean and it is not a very stable release; this means that you might not like it and the ROM backup file will come in handy and it will help you restore the phone to its current state.
- Backup your most important files and move them to your PC or on the phone’s internal SD card.
- Sync your phone Contacts with your Gmail account and you won’t lose any important phone numbers or contact details. You can restore the Contacts by entering the same Gmail account after you install the new ROM.
- This is a guide for advanced users since the ROM is only in its beta testing phase and it might pack some errors and bugs. Use this ROM only if you’re curious to see what new things are in AOKP Android 4.2 ROM.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged as you won’t like it if it powers off in the middle of the updating process.
- Apply all the steps I’ve listed in the tutorial and don’t skip any of them. If you’re unable to finish the guide then you should ask for more help in comments. We will offer you any extra instructions you might need.
That’s all the info you had to read and now you should continue with the rest of this article’s instructions.
How to update Google Nexus 4 to Android 4.2 with preview build of Unofficial AOKP JB custom ROM:
- Download the AOKP JB 4.2 ROM zip from HERE. Save the file on your computer’s desktop.
- Get the Gapps file for this ROM from HERE. This file has to be flashed as it will install the Google Apps for your smartphone.
- After the downloads are complete you should connect your Nexus 4 to your PC. Move them onto its internal SD card. Do not extract their contents.
- Power off your device completely and then boot it into CWM Recovery. Do it by booting the bootloader mode by pressing Volume Down and Power at the same time. Release the buttons when the display powers on and then you will have to select ‘Recovery’ option. Press Power to load CWM Recovery mode.
- From the main recovery menu you should select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and then confirm this process. Note that this will not delete the contents stored of the internal SDcard. When the factory reset is complete you have to move to the next step.
- Now select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the next menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Browse for the AOKP JB 4.2 unofficial mako ROM and then confirm that you want to install it.
- Repeat step 6 and install the Gapps zip file. When both the ROM and the Google Apps files are installed you should return to the main recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and then wait at least 5 minutes for the first boot process to load all the files of this new Android 4.2 unofficial AOKP OS.
- Enter your Google Account when the Nexus 4 boots in normal mode and that should be all. Now you can test the new features and tell us in comments how is your phone acting up now with this new custom ROM.
These were all the steps that you had to take and now your phone has been updated with this unofficial release of AOKP JB 4.2 custom ROM.
If you cannot complete the install then you can ask for extra help in comments. Make sure to leave a detailed comment telling us which steps you took and where you got stuck.
Also, remember that in case you don’t like this update, then you can use the ROM backup of the previous Android 4.2 Jelly Bean OS and restore your phone to its previous state.