The Galaxy S4 I9500 International model can now be updated to Android 4.4.2 KitKat using a custom ROM, the Unofficial CarbonROM build. Read this entire post and make sure that you won’t skip any steps that I’ve listed below, so that the installation will complete at your first attempt.
This is a custom ROM that is based on Carbon build, you can learn more about it by visiting the XDA thread here. If you want to complete the installation at your first attempt, then it would be best for you to take a look at the preparation info below:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9500 – it is the Exynos model.
– don’t try to flash the files that you’ll find in this post for any other Android device, not even for the Galaxy S4 LTE variant.
– if you install this ROM on any other Galaxy S4 model, then you will brick its firmware.
- Your device has to be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery image.
– TWRP Recovery will work too.
– make sure that whatever custom Recovery version is installed on your Galaxy S4, then you have updated it to its latest build.
- Use the NANDROID ROM Backup tutorial step in order to create a full restore point for your smartphone.
- Factory Reset is required for your device, which is why you shouldn’t skip the step when you reach it.
– this process wipes all data from installed apps.
– Internal / External storage cards will not be wipes by Factory Reset.
- Backup data from installed apps and SMS text messages with Helium – Guide here.
- Sync all your Contacts info and People details with your default Gmail account.
– guide here.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- This is a post for advanced users, don’t blame us in case you brick the phone or lose any important data files.
- Check the phone’s battery power, make sure that it is over 50%. This will prevent the device from switching off in the middle of the updating process.
- Read the entire guide and don’t skip any steps.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to flash a KitKat custom ROM.
How to flash Unofficial Carbon ROM KitKat 4.4.2 for Galaxy S4 I9500:
- Download the ROM zip file from here.
- Download Gapps zip for this ROM from here.
- Connect your phone to your PC, then move both zip files to your smartphone’s internal storage.
– don’t unzip the contents.
– disconnect the phone from PC when both file are transferred.
- Power off your Galaxy S4 now.
- Next, boot the device in CWM Recovery Mode.
– TWRP will work too if you carefully select the corresponding actions.
– guide here for those that don’t know how to boot a custom Recovery Mode.
- When you’re at the main CWM Recovery menu you will have to create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
– select ‘backup and restore’, then save the file to your phone’s internal or external storage.
- Apply Factory Reset for your device:
– select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
- Install the ROM on your Galaxy S4 now:
– select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– find the ROM zip file and confirm its installation.
- After the Unofficial Carbon KitKat ROM is installed you will have to repeat step 8 actions in order to install Gapps zip, too.
- When all files are installed you have to return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your device now.
– the first boot process takes several minutes to load, which is why you should wait without pressing any buttons.
- Enter the Google profile info in order to gain control over your device.
– start testing all of its new features.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete the installation. For any other questions or extra help you should use the comments field below.