Flash Unofficial ParanoidAndroid 3.50 custom ROM with HALO for the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 (Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM)
The ParanoidAndroid team is working hard on releasing the HALO feature for all Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and previous Android versions. In this post you can find an unofficial port based on PA and it feature the HALO function for the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. Read this entire article and you will learn how to successfully install it.
This is a custom ROM based on Paranoid Android’s work and it is not an official build. At the moment, the PA 3.50 with HALO feature is at its testing phase and it will take some time before this build will get its final version. At the moment, this build of ParanoidAndroid is a Release Candidate based and it will continue to be updated until the PA team will be able to say that the HALO and PIE Controls have been successfully integrated for all the supported devices.
Installing this custom ROM will allow your apps to show the notification in their own HALO window without clustering the notification bar any more. At the moment, this is a very early alpha build of HALO and ParanoidAndroid 3.50 custom ROM which is why you should read the guidelines first before installing it:
- use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9300. Don’t try to flash these files on any other smartphone or tablet.
- your device has to be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery mode such as CWM or TWRP. I’ve used the ClockworkMod -CWM Recovery for this guide, but the TWRP should work fine with the PA 3.50 unofficial ROM.
- use the custom Recovery mode and create a full NANDROID backup of your current OS. This will set a restore point for your smartphone, it can be used in case the device doesn’t boot with the new ROM.
- the tutorial will ask you to wipe data/ factory reset the smartphone, which is why you should be saving all your important data before installing the new OS.
- if you want to backup the SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings using the following tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is required for some of these apps.
- sync your Contacts with your Gmail account so that you won’t lose any important data in the process.
- enable USB debugging from the Developer Options.
- make sure that you don’t skip any steps in the process.
- this is a guide for advanced users.
- don’t blame us in case something goes wrong and you lose data or you brick your phone in the process.
- make sure that your phone’s battery has enough power before switching off as you wouldn’t want your smartphone to shut down in the middle of the updating process.
- in case you cannot complete the update you should ask for more help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, I think that you can continue to the next part of this tutorial. Remember not to skip any steps that I have listed below, as that will result in a failed attempt and you might brick the phone.
If the new ROM doesn’t want to boot then you should use the NANDROID backup file and restore your Galaxy S3 to its previous operating system. However, before deciding to return to the previous ROM, you should try several times as such custom ROMs are usually acting up and you simply need to continuously try to flash the PA 3.50 unofficial build.
How to install ParanoidAndroid 3.50 ROM with HALO for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300:
- Download the unofficial PA 3.50 I9300 zip from HERE. Save the file on your PC and don’t unzip it.
- Download Gapps for PA ROM from HERE. Don’t unzip and save the file on computer.
- Next, connect your device to computer via USB cable. Move both files onto your smartphone’s internal SDcard. When the files are copied you should disconnect the device from PC.
- Power off your I9300 SGS3 phone completely.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons. Release the buttons when the screen shows a warning message. Press Volume Up to confirm that you load the custom Recovery Mode.
- Select ‘backup and restore’ and create a NANDROID backup of your current OS.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm this step. Make sure that you won’t skip this one, as the ROM will not boot normally otherwise.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’. From the next menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and find the PA 3.50 I9300 zip. Confirm its installation.
- Select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ again and install the Gapps for PA ROMs zip.
- After both files have been successfully flashed, return to the first menu of the custom Recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’.
- The first boot process starts now and it shouldn’t take longer than seven minutes to complete.
- Enter the Google Account details and take control over your device right away.
- Test the Paranoid Android 3.50 unofficial build with HALO and tell us in comments how is it running with your Galaxy S3 device.
NOTE: if the first boot process of this new ROM takes too long to complete or the device enters into a boot loop, then you should power it off completely by removing its battery. After 10 seconds have passed you should re-insert the battery. Then you have to repeat the entire tutorial. Make sure that you won’t skip any steps.
These were all the steps that you had to take and complete the installation of ParanoidAndroid 3.50 unofficial ROM with HALO feature for the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. If you have any other questions, post them in the comments field below or search for more info at the developer’s XDA thread here.