Verizon has launched the official Android 4.4 KitKat OTA Update files for their Samsung Galaxy Note 3 smartphone. Use all the instructions listed in this post if you want to learn how to successfully update your device with a brand new Android OS version.
If your device didn’t get the new VRUCNC4 KitKat 4.4.2 OTA Update then you can follow the instructions that I’ve listed in this article to learn how to manually apply the installation. Before starting the updating process you should take a look at the preparation guide below:
- use this tutorial only with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 smartphone.
– your device has the build number set to SM – N900V and the N900VVRUCNC4 firmware is destined to be flashed only on this model, so you shouldn’t try to install it on any other US variants of Note 3.
- download and install the Samsung USB Drivers on your computer.
– without the Samsung USB Drivers installed on your PC you cannot send the KitKat update to your device.
– for the installation of this new ROM you will need to use ODIN app, all details are listed in the tutorial.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
– if the Developer Options menu is not listed in Settings, then this one hast to be enabled, too – a guide detailing all steps is listed here. (that’s a guide for Galaxy S5, but it works with all Samsung and other Android devices).
- disable any antivirus app and the Samsung KIES from running on your computer.
– these apps will usually block ODIN from flashing any new firmware files for your device.
- in case your phone is rooted then the update to a stock ROM will revoke root access restoring full warranty for it.
- if the Verizon Note 3 is running a custom ROM, then you need to know that the system partition is going to be wiped in the process, so you will need to save important data stored on it.
– if you want to backup data from installed apps use the Helium tool for Android devices.
– if you want to sync data like Contacts info and People details, then you can using our tutorial here.
- if your device has a custom Recovery installed on it, then this will be removed in the process and replaced with a stock variant.
- check the smartphone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, so that your phone will not reboot in the middle of the updating process.
- this guide should be applied by advanced Android users, do not try to update the phone in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- don’t blame us in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data in the process.
- read the whole tutorial, make sure that you don’t skip any steps and you should be able to finish the update with the latest KitKat OS variant in under ten minutes.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to correctly prepare the smartphone for the updating process.
How to update Verizon Galaxy Note 3 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat VRUCNC4:
- Download the N900VVRUCNC4 firmware zip from here.
– the file is hosted at our friends at SamMobile, so you will need to create an account in order to be able to download it.
- After the download is complete you should extract the firmware files and save them on your PC.
– you should obtain the VRUCNC4 tar.md5 file, don’t extract any further.
- Download ODIN 3.09 from here.
– extract its contents and place the folder on your PC.
- Power off the Galaxy Note now.
- Next, boot it in Download Mode.
- Launch ODIN exe on your PC.
- Use a USB Cable and connect the Verizon Note 3 to your computer.
– wait for ODIN to recognize the smartphone and then continue to the next step.
– if your phone isn’t recognized by ODIN you will need to re-install the Samsung USB Drivers.
- Go to ODIN window and press the ‘AP’ button.
- Load the N900VVRUCNC4 tar.md5 firmware file in ODIN.
– make sure that the ‘Re-Partition’ option is not enabled.
– don’t change other default options.
- Hit the START button when you’re ready for the updating process.
– don’t press any buttons during the installation.
- When all files are successfully installed you should see the phone rebooting in normal mode. ODIN will display the ‘PASS’ alert.
- Use your account to log into your phone and then start testing all the new features and functions added by the KitKat 4.4.2 firmware.
These were all instructions you had to follow in order to complete the updating process of your Verizon Galaxy Note 3.
If the update worked great, then you can close this tutorial. If you encountered problems then you might want to take a look at the notes listed below.
Note 1: if ODIN freezes, it displays the FAIL alert or some other thing blocks the update from completing, then you might want to try and repeat the process once again. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps and that you have the downloaded the correct firmware file. For more help use comments field.
NOTE 2: if ODIN says the that installation was passed, but your phone is unable to go past the Samsung Boot animation screen or it enters into a boot loop, then you should try and apply a factory reset. This process will remove all traces left behind by the former ROM and allow the new VRUCNC4 Android 4.4.2 KitKat to be booted by your Verizon Note 3.
In order to Factory Reset your Note 3 you will need to: power off the device completely, then boot it in Recovery Mode, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm. Reboot the phone after the factory reset is complete and it should successfully the new KitKat firmware without problems.