XenonHD is a custom ROM based on Android 4.2.2 AOSP Jelly Bean and, you can use this post to learn how to successfully flash it for your Galaxy S2 I9100 device. Read the entire post and you should be able to install every file without bricking your device.
If you want to learn more about the XenonHD ROM and the team behind it, then you should take a look at the developer’s web page here. For this new ROM to install correctly on your device, you will first need to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this guide only for the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100.
– do not attempt to flash this custom ROM on any other Android smartphone, as you will end up bricking it.
- The Galaxy S2 you’re about to update has to be rooted, factory unlocked and running a custom Recovery image such as CWM or TWRP.
- In the ‘how-to’ part of this post you’ll find the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and this means that you will lose all data from system partition.
– factory reset doesn’t wipe data from internal / external storage.
- Backup data from installed apps using one of the following tools for Android: Helium (here) or Titanium Backup (here).
- Backup SMS, APN Internet Settings and Call Logs info using these Android utilities: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for some of these apps.
- Sync your People details and Contacts info with you default Gmail account.
– if you don’t know how to do that, then you should use the info listed here.
- Create a NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your device.
– a restore point is highly recommended in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode or in case you simply don’t like the XenonHD features.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery has enough power left before it switches off completely.
- This is a post for advanced users and you shouldn’t blame us in case you brick the phone or lose any important data in the process.
- If you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Now that you’ve read all of the above, continue to the tutorial and learn how to successfully update your device with this new custom ROM.
How to install XenonHD Android 4.2.2 ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
– go to ‘I9100′ section and download the file listed under it.
- Download the Gapps for Android 4.2.2 custom ROMs from here.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC, then move both zip files on your Galaxy S2 internal storage.
– do not unzip the files.
– after the files are copied you can disconnect the device from computer.
- Power off your smartphone now.
- Boot the Galaxy S2 into Custom Recovery Mode:
– both CWM and TWRP Recovery will work with this tutorial.
– recovery mode can be booted by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons. Release the buttons only when the custom Recovery screen appears.
- First thing that you need to do is to create a NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your phone:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, save the file on your phone’s internal storage.
– TWRP: press Backup, name the file and confirm the process.
- Now, apply Factory Reset:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
– TWRP: press Wipe, then swipe to factory reset.
- Next, install the XenonHD Android 4.2.2 custom ROM:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the zip file and then confirm.
– TWRP: press Install, then find the XenonHD custom ROM file. Confirm the process by swiping the blue button at the bottom of the screen.
- After the ROM is installed you need to repeat step 8 actions and flash Gapps zip file.
- When both are installed, return to the main custom Recovery screen. Reboot your smartphone now in normal mode.
- Enter the Google Account info when the XenonHD Android 4.2.2 home screen appears.
In case the custom ROM doesn’t install successfully at your first attempt, then you should repeat the entire tutorial. For any other questions, use the comments field below.
In case you don’t like how your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 works with the XenonHD Android 4.2.2 ROM, then you can always restore it to its previous state using the backup file created in step 6.