The official Android 4.4.2 KitKat OTA XXUGNE5 update is now live for the LTE model of Galaxy S4 I9505 smartphone. Use our tutorial below and learn how to successfully apply all changes on your device.
This new firmware brings Kids Mode and the KNOX 2.0 security patch. More info about this release can be found in our news article. Before starting the updating process you should take a look at the preparation info below:
- use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE model number I9505.
- don’t try to flash this new firmware file on any other Galaxy S4 device.
- check your device’s model number by going through Settings and checking the info listed under About Device.
- install the Samsung USB Drivers on your computer.
- these drivers will allow you to connect the phone to your PC and send the firmware update files to your device.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- if the Developer Options is not enabled on your computer, then you will need to enable this too.
- a guide for Galaxy S5 on how to enabled USB Debugging is here, but it can be used for any Samsung device.
- disable Samsung KIES and the antivirus apps that are running on your computer.
- these apps might block ODIN from running on your computer.
- if your device is rooted then this update will revoke root access.
- if your phone runs on a custom ROM then the system partition will be wiped in the process.
- if any custom recovery is installed then this will be replaced with a stock Recovery image.
- if you want to backup data from your device use Helium for Android app here.
- Contacts can be synced with your default Gmail account.
- this guide is for advanced users.
- do not attempt to update your smartphone in case you’re a beginner and you don’t know how to use Odin tool on your PC.
- make sure that your phone’s battery charge level is over 50%, it will prevent the device from switching off in the middle of the installation process.
- read the entire article, don’t skip any steps and make sure that you use the comments field in case you need any extra help.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash XXUGNE5 Android 4.4.2 Update for Galaxy S4 I9505:
- Download the I9505XXUGNE5 firmware zip from here.
- make sure to create a new account at SamMobile in order to be able to download the new firmware ROM.
- Extract the contents of this zip files and save them on your computer.
- you will get the I9505XXUGNE5 tar.md5 file and don’t unzip any further than that.
- Download Odin 3.09 from here.
- extract the zip contents and save them on your PC.
- Power off the phone completely.
- Boot your Galaxy S4 in Download Mode now.
- Launch the ODIN executable on your PC.
- Connect the smartphone to your computer via USB Cable.
- wait for ODIN to detect your device and then continue with the rest of this guide’s steps.
- in case the phone isn’t recognized then you will need to re-install the Samsung USB Drivers.
- Go back to Odin’s window, press the AP button option and load the I9505XXUGNE5 tar.md5 file.
- make sure that the ‘Re-Partition’ option is not enabled.
- don’t change any other default Odin settings.
- Press the START when you wish to begin the updating process of your Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 4.4.2 XXUGNE5.
- don’t press any buttons until all files are successfully flashed on your phone.
- When the update is complete you will see the ‘PASS’ alert listed in Odin and the Galaxy S4 will reboot in normal mode.
- Use your login details in order to take control over your device once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully update your Galaxy S4 I9505 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXUGNE5 firmware.
If the process fails, then you should attempt to repeat the entire tutorial once again. For more questions use the comments field.
Note that if you do repeat the guide, then you won’t skip any steps and you will make sure to apply all the instructions listed above. Also, make sure that your device’s model number matches the one listed in the firmware version number.