Xperia XZ2 is the latest flagship released by Sony. Now, even though it might not be the most innovative device it’s still a good alternative if you’re looking for something different than Samsung and Apple. Also, the phone is offered along with a pair of high-tech headphones, which makes it a good deal on the market. Anyhow, if you are already using the new Sony Xperia XZ2, don’t hesitate and learn how to apply the basic Android operations on your device – and, as you can already tell, we will start these processes with the hard reset operation.
So, making a hard reset on the Sony Xperia XZ2 is a basic Android operation. Thus, this process can help you smartly manage different situations and knowing its advantages shouldn’t be optional, especially if you want to become an experienced Android user. Anyhow, the lines explained below will help you better understand the hard reset procedure: the advantages and the risks related will be discussed, the pre-requisites will be reviewed and the actual steps that must be followed will be detailed in the end.
The hard reset is the same thing with the factory reset operation. Both terms are related with the same process and can be applied in the same way. Now, the result of this operation is a full wipe that will happen on your Xperia XZ2. Shortly, everything that is saved on your phone and wasn’t there from day one will be erased – a full wipe will delete third party apps, processes, features and your own data as in the end only bloatware will remain installed on your smartphone. Therefore, from this perspective, the hard reset will partially restore your device back to factory state.
And this aspect can be used in your own advantage if you are dealing with software related problems. In that respect, by making a hard reset you can successfully get rid of unresponsive programs, malware, inappropriate tools or malicious apps. Shortly, you can use this guide as a troubleshooting solution for fixing different issues like boot loops, lags, hangs, screen freeze, battery drain, heating problems, signal strength malfunctions, total blackouts and so on.
On the other hand, the factory reset can speed up your Sony Xperia XZ2. That can be useful when the memory is full of third party apps, situation during which the general speed will be slowed down. Of course, a full wipe can be helpful if you want to sell your smartphone as in that case you will want to protect your data and your identity. Additionally, the hard reset can also be required during certain tweaks – for example, you will have to complete this operation if you will want to install a custom ROM firmware such as Lineage OS, AOKP, Paranoid Android and so on.
Initiating the hard reset is an official operation as this process is featured by default within the Android core system that powers your Xperia XZ2. That’s why you won’t have to use any third party apps or risky program for resuming the guidelines and the steps explained below. Furthermore, all the methods detailed during this step by step guide can be applied in the same way even if you already tweaked your device – shortly, it won’t matter if you gained root access, if a custom recovery image was installed or if the bootloader was unlocked.
But, before starting the factory reset on your Sony Xperia XZ2 you must backup your personal data, info, accounts and files. Without securing your files you will end up in losing everything that’s important for you, including contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, calendar info, saved passwords, IMEI / NVRAM data and similar other packages. For applying the backup operation quickly you can use Sony’s own cloud storage platforms, or you can choose to sync some files with your Google account; also, dedicated (and already tested) backup and restore apps from Google Play can help you secure your data.
Don’t start the steps available below without verifying the power that’s left on your Xperia XZ2. It is extremely important to ensure enough power as if your device gets turned off while you try to hard reset its Android system, you can end up in soft bricking your Android based device. Well, that’s why you must plug in the charger if the power left is currently lower than 50%.
Of course, go ahead and apply the methods from this tutorial only if you own the new Sony Xperia XZ2 – all the steps from below are compatible only with this particular Android based handset.
How to Hard Reset Sony Xperia XZ2
- A computer is required; there, your phone’s drivers must be already installed.
- Next, on your computer download and set up the Xperia Companion toolkit (it’s a small program developed by Sony) – you can get this program from here.
- On your smartphone press and hold the Power button for a few seconds in order to turn off your device.
- Next, connect it with your computer with the help of the USB cable.
- Run Xperia Companion on your computer.
- From the program choose Main Menu and click on Software repair.
- Read the alerts and resume the confirmation process by following on-screen prompts.
- When asked, reboot your Xperia XZ2 into fastboot mode.
- Once fastboot mode is reached, on your device you will receive the info related with the hard reset process.
- Tap on Next and wait while the factory reset operation is resumed.
- When done, close the Xperia Companion program, unplug the USB cable and reboot your device.
- That should be all.
- This operation can be applied only if your phone is turned on; so do that first.
- From your main screen choose Settings and then switch to System.
- Scroll down and select Reset.
- Next, pick up Factory Data Reset and review the alerts that are displayed.
- Tap on Reset Phone and confirm by choosing Erase Everything.
- That should be all.
- Again, your device must be turned on for this method to work.
- Then, open your phone dialer.
- There, type and dial *#*#7378423#*#*.
- A new menu will be displayed on your phone.
- From there tap on Customization Settings and afterwards pick Reset customization.
- Confirm your option by selecting ‘data will be cleared and factory data reset will perform’.
- Re-confirm your option and tap on Reset customization and reboot.
- That’s it; the hard reset will be automatically completed on your Sony Xperia XZ2.
Perfect. That’s how the hard reset operation can be successfully completed on the new Sony Xperia XZ2. Read carefully all the lines explained above and apply the method that you prefer the most, or just test all the factory reset solutions that were discussed during this tutorial. Don’t forget to share your own hard reset experience with us and with the users who might be about to begin this process on their own – you can easily and quickly get in touch with us by filling out the comments field from below. Enjoy.