Making a hard reset in the Sony Xperia Z1 can be an easy task to perform especially since Sony developed a dedicated hardware button that can be used on this purpose. Yes, this key exists on your Xperia Z1 and can be used for making a hard reset, or factory reset automatically and without using the classic method. Anyway, if you can’t use this dedicated hard reset method, I will also teach you how to factory reset your Xperia Z1 by following other compatible methods, so for a proper step by step tutorial, check the guidelines from below.
A hard reset is a basic operation that each Android user should know how to perform on its own Android smartphone or tablet. Each handset can be factory reset differently so that’s why you need to find a compatible method with your Sony Xperia Z1. Thus, this tutorial will turn out to be more than helpful for you. Anyway, do note that the hard reset operation is official and does not require root access or custom apps that can brick or damage your phone. In fact the hard reset process is often used when trying to fix a bricked Android device.
Now, learning how to hard reset your Xperia Z1 is recommended due to same reasons. First of all, it is important to know how to factory reset the Xperia Z1 in case you want to sell your phone or if you are buying one from your friend or from a stranger. Then, since when using an Android smartphone implies in performing various unofficial operations, the hard reset method will be required for resolving numerous problems and issues. Basically, you can damage or brick the Xperia Z1 when trying to gain root access, unlock the bootloader, install a custom recovery image, flash a custom ROM firmware, install a custom kernel and so on.
The problems can be quite numerous; for example your Xperia Z1 might run with lags, there might be bugs on its system, the battery might drain fast, the screen might freeze, you can get force close errors or worst you might not be able to reboot your phone at all. All these issues can be resolved with a hard reset, so as you can already see, learning how to hard reset your Sony Xperia Z1 is not really an option for you. But, since Sony developed a dedicated hardware button that can be used on this purpose, your job will get much easier. Anyway, in order to properly help you out, during the lines from below I will show you more factory reset methods that can be safely applied on your Android smartphone.
But first you should know what a hard reset implies; basically by applying a factory reset, all of your Xperia Z1 data will be erased or wiped out. I’m talking about the data which is saved on the internal storage memory. So, if on your phone there is something that isn’t working properly, now the issue will be removed. Because of that you need to make a backup before going any further – do the backup only if you can still use the menu of your Xperia Z1. By making a backup you can save your personal data, info and accounts before making the wipe – so use compatible backup and restore apps from Google Play and save your contacts list, call logs, market apps, internet settings and everything else you might need afterwards.
Finally, before heading to the guidelines from below, remember that this step by step guide is compatible only for the Sony Xperia Z1 and for no other Android based handset. The steps from below have been tested and worked perfectly on the mentioned device, and probably the same methods will not work on a different or similar Android smartphone or tablet, so be careful and try not to mess things up.
How to Hard Reset Xperia Z1 in a minute
Make a Software Hard Reset
- On your phone, go to settings.
- Tap the “backup and restore” option.
- Choose “factory data reset”.
- Up next press on “erase phone” and tap on “erase everything” in order to confirm.
Make a hard reset using the dedicated factory reset key
- The Xperia Z1 is coming with an un-removable battery which means that the hard reset button is located somewhere it can be easily accessed.
- In that matter open the cover of the SD card slot.
- There should be located a small red button.
- That is the hard reset key.
- Now press and hold that small red button for about 3 or 5 seconds.
- Your Xperia Z1 will be factory reset automatically.
Make a hard reset using Volume Up and Down buttons
- First off all, turn off your Xperia Z1.
- You can do this by pressing power button and choosing “power off” or by holding the power key for about 15 seconds.
- Now reboot by pressing the power button; when the LED notification light turns Pink (or any other color in that matter) press volume up or volume down button for a couple of times.
- Recovery mode will be entered on your Xperia Z1.
- From there select “wipe data factory reset”.
- Also, you can choose “wipe cache partition”.
- In the end from main menu of recovery select “reboot system now”.
There you have it; these are the best hard reset / factory reset methods that can be used on your Sony Xperia Z1. So, have you managed to do it, or are you still trying? If you have problems or if you need more details on that matter, don’t hesitate and use the comments field from below and we will try to assist you as soon as possible. Also, don’t forget to check out our how to section in order to find other dedicated step by step tutorials for your Sony Xperia Z1 and for many other Android based devices.