Recovery Mode is a hidden menu of your HTC One M8 device that offers tons of extra functions for you to factory reset, flash new ROMs, updates, and more.
The Stock Recovery that comes packed with your HTC phone is limited in features as you can only apply a factory reset, wipe cache and install OTA updates. If you opt to install a custom Recovery, then you will be able to do more tasks with it, as it allows the installation of custom ROMs, custom kernels, custom ROM updates, mount partitions, wipe system, etc.
In this guide you will find three methods that will teach you how to successfully boot the Recovery mode for the HTC One M8 device. All tutorials will work with any Custom or Stock Recovery version.
How to manually enter HTC One M8 Recovery Mode
This method requires you to use hardware keys combination.
- First thing that you need to do is to go to Settings, then Battery and uncheck the option that says FASTBOOT.
- Power off the smartphone now.
- Wait ten seconds until the HTC One M8 is powered off completely.
- Now, press and hold Volume Down button, press Power to switch on the phone but don’t release the Volume Down key.
- the Bootloader Mode will load now.
- Select RECOVERY option from all the Bootloader options, select it and press Power to boot Recovery Mode.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to learn how to successfully boot into Recovery Mode on your HTC One M8.
How to boot Recovery Mode for HTC One M8 with ADB
Make sure that you have the HTC USB Drivers installed on your computer.
Download and install them from here.
Android Debug Bridge is a small utility that allows you to send command lines to your phone using the Command Prompt / Terminal tool.
This is a method that should be used by advanced Android users, so you should use it at your own risk. This method should become easier to use after a while than the manual method above.
Before getting to the tutorial you will need to enable the Developer Options and USB Debugging:
- Go to Settings, then ‘About Phone’ and scroll down to ‘Build Number’.
- Press seven times on the Build Number sections.
- this will enable Developer Options.
- Go back to Settings screen.
- Find and open the Developer Options menu.
- Check the ‘USB Debugging’ box.
- Press OK.
Now that you’ve enabled USB Debugging you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to boot Recovery Mode via ADB commands.
- Download the Fastboot zip file from here.
- Extract the contents of this zip and save them on your PC desktop screen.
- Connect your phone to your PC using the USB data cable.
- if a pop-up appears on your phone asking for you to confirm USB Debugging, then you should confirm and press OK.
- if there are any errors, then you should try to re-install the Drivers for your HTC device.
- Go to the folder created in step 2.
- Launch the ‘Boot into Recovery mode’bat’ script file.
- Now your phone will boot in HTC One M8 Recovery Mode.
If you already have the ADB configured on your computer, then you can always choose to boot Recovery Mode using Command Prompt / Terminal and the following command line: adb reboot recovery
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to learn how to successfully boot the HTC One in Recovery Mode.
How to boot Recovery Mode for Rooted HTC One M8 with Quick Boot tool
This method requires a rooted device, as otherwise it won’t work.
Quick Boot (Reboot) app is even more easier to use than the methods above, so you should be able to easily boot Recovery Mode every time you want.
- Install the Quick Boot (Reboot) app from the Google Play Store.
- Launch the application on your smartphone.
- Grant root access for it.
- Now you need to simply select the ‘Recovery’ option.
- Wait for your phone to boot in Recovery Mode.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully learn how to properly boot your HTC One 2014 M8 in its stock or custom Recovery.
In case you need any extra help, then you should use the field below.