HTC has recently promised to redefine the Android smart phone world as it once did with its HTC Desire and to go back on releasing fewer models with better functionality. This is very good news for anyone who is looking to buy a medium to high end device from the HTC One series, but it more of a disappointment for older HTC users because the Taiwanese manufacturer will be spending more time on new devices and leave the older ones behind the ages in terms of software updates. This is where rooting comes in handy, as it allows you to practically give your HTC Inspire 4G a new breath of life. This article is aimed at providing a safe and easy way of rooting your HTC Inspire 4G.
Before we move on you should know a couple of very important aspects regarding rooting any Android device. Rooting your HTC Inspire 4G will most likely void the warranty, so if you are uncomfortable with this, you should probably stop here. If somehow, something goes wrong, you are on your own. Neither we nor the developer of this software can be held responsible for any damage that might come to your device by following this guide. By all means, you should not be discouraged by the above statement, as everything in this article should work because HTC have not changed the lower part of the system called the bootloader. Thanks to the guys over at androidadvices for finding this procedure.
The rooting in the case of the HTC Inspire 4G will be done via a specially modded tool of the rooting software for the HTC Ace which we will be referring to as the Ace Hack kit from now on. Be sure to read the list of features below before going any further:
- Completely integrated/invisible gold card process
- Only ONE menu step – HACK ACE
- No ROM downgrade required (only radio/kernel)
- No wiping data
- Rom is fully functional (yes, inc wifi)
- Fully rooted with insecure boot image (supports adb remount for rw system)
- Busybox manager app installed
- S-Off, superCid & carrier sim unlock
- Correct Radio is automagically restored for HSPA+ operation
- Clockworkmod Recovery and Rom Manager included
- Both stock Froyo and Gingerbread (pre Sense 3.0) supported
- Easy return to stock for AT&T, Telus and WWE CID HTC__001
- Much smaller download
- Much smaller firmware flash to obtain the exploit – comparatively very fast processing
The second point of this tutorial consists of the steps needed to be taken before the actual flashing process. While these steps are not mandatory, we strongly advise you to follow them, as they mostly refer to backing up the information that is already on your device. This is done in order to prevent the loss of any kind of personal data if anything should go wrong.
As in any other backup procedure it is advisable not to use the official backup software that came with your device as it does not support the custom firmware files out there. There is also a big chance of it not recognizing your HTC Inspire 4G after it has been rooted so please use or install the apps below to do the backup.
- Text messages – Use this appliaction: SMS Backup & Restore
- Phone Contacts – These can easily be synced via your Gmail/Google account or by exporting them to the micro SD card
- Call Log – Install this application: Call Log Backup and Restore
- Pictures, Music, Videos, Files etc.– Copy to internal memory card
- Internet & MMS Settings – Backup all the settings from this path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
Before proceeding to the flashing process there are still a couple of precautionary steps you need to take in order to minimize the chances of failure:
- Ensure that you are running the Stock non rooted ROM on your HTC Inspire 4G
- Charge your device to full or to a minimum of 70% to ensure that the phone will not power off during the install process.
- Enable the USB debugging in your HTC One Inspire 4G. This can be done from the following: Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging. The USB Debugging option should be ticked.
- Turn off your anti virus software and disable your firewall to make sure they don’t interfere with the rooting process.
- Ensure that the HTC Sync application has been completely removed from your computer.
This last part will present the actual rooting procedure. We should warn you that these rooting steps are not very easy and you should proceed with caution. Overall, the benefits of rooting your device surpass the risks, and because this rooting method is not new, the chances of it going the wrong way are slim to non existent. Please follow the steps below in oder:
- We will begin by downloading this Ace Hack Kit and then extracting it to an easily reachable place such as your desktop.
- The second step is fairly easy and all you have to do is to connect your powered on HTC Inspire 4G to your computer via the original USB cable.
- The third step involves starting the hack-ace.cmd file you have downloaded as the administrator so that its processes are not blocked by Windows.
- The next step requires you only to check out to see if the windows that has opened is the same as the one above and then to input the number 1 for the first option and pressing the Enter key on your keyboard. After doing this the rooting process will begin, and your device will reboot a couple of times before it ends so make sure not to disconnect your HTC Inspire 4G.
- After the process has finished you may disconnect your phone from the PC and attempt to reboot it by pulling out the battery and putting it back in again.
- The last step requires you to install the Busy Box application after the phone has booted to the normal home screen and starting the Superuser app which will allow you to select which apps can have full access to your device. Once the Superuser app is started be sure to tap on the Allow option before doing anything else.
In the unlikely case you encounter problems during rooting you should follow the steps above again and re start the rooting procedure.
When all this is done you should be happy as you have just successfully rooted your HTC Inspire 4G smart phone with a minimum amount of effort. From here on you can start exploring the possibilities a rooted device can give you and enjoy the latest and most efficient custom ROMs available.