How to enable Toggle Mode for Samsung Galaxy Nexus Quick Settings on Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
With the release of Android 4.2 users received multiple new features and one of them is the new Quick Settings menu that offers you ‘button shortcuts’ to wi-fi, battery, mobile data, airplane mode, bluetooth and many more functions that are making your Android experience much easier than before.
The Quick Settings menu opens a new menu every time you click a shortcut and that might not be quite what you needed. That is why this guide comes to your aide as you will be able to add toggles to your Quick Settings menu, which is very similar to the option toggles that are already present in CyanogenMod builds and TouchWiz of Samsung.
The Quick Settings Mod by Kevdliu from XDA has the following features:
- Press to directly toggle Mobile data or long press to open the Mobile Data settings menu.
- Tap to directly enable/ disable Wifi or long press to open the Wifi settings menu.
- Press to directly enable / disable Bluetooth or long press the toggle to open the Bluetooth Settings menu.
- GPS Tile that you can press to enable GPS and, if you long press, then it will launch the Location Settings menu.
- You can use it to Add Auto Rotation Tile, Volume Tile, Screen Off Tile and the Ringer Modes Tile.
- A control panel app that you can use to show or hide Tiles.
Quick Settings Mod works only on Android 4.2 ROMs that are deodexed, as it isn’t supported by stock firmware. Most custom ROMs are deodexed and you can verify this using Solid Explorer app from Play Store and then browse the /system/app directory for the .odex file extension in it. If you find a single .odex file then this guide will not work for you.
In order to correctly flash this new customization file, you will need to use CWM or TWRP Recovery.
So, you need a Galaxy Nexus that runs on Android 4.2 Jelly Bean AOSP ROM, that is deodexed and one that runs a custom recovery image. If your device doesn’t meet these requirements then you shouldn’t attempt to install the Quick Settings Mod. If you have any extra questions, post them in our comments section.
How to install Toggle Mode for Quick Settings menu of Android 4.2 ROM on Galaxy Nexus:
- Download Quick Settings Mod from HERE.
- Connect your Galaxy Nexus smartphone to your computer via USB cable. Move the file downloaded at step 1 on the internal SDcard. When done, disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off your smartphone completely and then power it in bootloader mode. This can be done by pressing ‘volume up’, ‘volume down’ and ‘power’ buttons at the same time. Select the ‘recovery mode’ option and then move to the next step.
- Create a NANDROID backup of the ROM that is currently installed on your device. You can use this backup in case your phone stops working after the installation of Quick Settings Mod. Select ‘backup and restore’ and then select ‘Backup’. Wait for this to be complete and then continue with the rest of this guide.
- Return to the main recovery screen and select ‘install zip from sdcard’ option, and from the next menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Quick Settings Mod file and confirm that you want to install it.
- When the install is complete you need to return to the first menu of Recovery mode.
- Now you can choose ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the Galaxy Nexus to boot into normal mode.
That’s it, you’ve managed to flash the new customization file for your phone and you’re now free to test its functions and features.
In case the Galaxy Nexus gets stuck at the boot animation logo, then it means that the mod is not supported by your ROM. The only thing that you can do is to switch off your device and then boot again into Recovery mode and use the ‘backup and restore’ option to restore the previous state of your phone.
If you have any other questions, please leave thme in a comment at the end of this post.