In this tutorial you will find all instructions you need in order to learn how to successfully hard aka factory reset your Nexus 5. Make sure to read the entire post without skipping any steps and you should be able to wipe your device clean in under ten minutes.
A Factory Reset will help you get rid of any errors or force closing alerts that your Nexus 5 displays right now.
Hard Reset or Factory Reset is very useful if you’re planning on selling or giving away your device, as you wouldn’t want to leave any traces of your internet browsing history, photos, videos, passcodes or any other type of sensible data. That is why you will use this guide and find all the instructions required in order to wipe the entire device clean.
One particular method that will wipe every single file from your Nexus 5 would be by installing a Factory Image, but this will mean that you will flash a whole new operating system. Here’s a guide that will teach you how to unbrick or restore to 100% stock Android OS. Use the comments field if you need any extra help.
Before starting the Factory Reset or Hard Reset or Full OS WIPE process you should take a look at the preparation guide below:
- use this guide only with Google Nexus 5 smartphones.
- make sure that your phone’s battery charge level is over 50%, so that it won’t switch off in the middle of the data wipe process.
- if you need to backup any data from installed apps, SMS text messages or other sensible data files before wiping clean your phone, then you can use Helium tool for Android.
- sync Contacts and People details so that you won’t lose any important phone numbers — here.
- read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and you should be just fine.
- apply this guide only if you’re an advanced Nexus 5 user who know his way around a stock or custom Recovery.
- note that we cannot be blamed if you brick your phone nor in case you damage the device in any other way.
Since you’ve gone past all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
Below you can find three tutorials, one that teaches you how to Wipe Cache Partition, one to apply Factory Reset from your phone’s UI Settings menu and the final one that will teach you how to wipe the device clean when using a Stock or Custom Recovery Mode. Read all the info and then use the one that suits you best.
How to Wipe Cache Partition for Google Nexus 5:
- power off the Nexus 5.
- boot it into Recovery Mode.
- from the main Recovery screen select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- confirm process by selecting ‘yes — delete all user data’.
- reboot the phone when the Factory Reset is complete.
How to Factory Reset Google Nexus 5 using UI Settings menu:
- Open App Drawer menu.
- Launch Settings.
- Tap ‘Backup & Reset’.
- Tap ‘Reset Phone’ and confirm.
- Wait for the process to complete.
How to Hard Reset Nexus 5 with Recovery Mode:
This guide will work with both custom and stock recovery images.
- Power off your device now.
- Boot the Nexus 5 into Stock / Custom Recovery Mode.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm.
- Confirm Factory Reset selecting ‘Yes — delete all user data’. Confirm.
- After the process is complete you need to reboot the phone.
Wait for your phone to boot and check the device for any data files.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete this guide, now you can do whatever you want with your device. If you have any other questions, use the comments field below.