How to Install and Boot CWM and TWRP Recovery for rooted Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 L720
Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 model number L720 has been successfully rooted with Cf-Auto-Root tool. However, that particular rooting app did not flash any custom Recovery image for this phone, which is why you should use this tutorial and learn how to install CWM or TWRP Recovery manually.
Installing a custom Recovery image is a necessary thing to do for users who love to tinker with their device. Using a custom recovery such as CWM and TWRP allows the installation of custom ROMs, kernels, themes and other similar customization tools that should be used to improve the overall performance or looks of your smartphone. Also, you can use it to backup and restore NANDROID ROMs, wipe data, factory reset, format system, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache and for tons of other Android-related tasks.
This is a tutorial that will work exclusively with rooted Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 phones. Don’t try to use this tutorial with devices running stock Android firmware.
Below you can find two different tutorials, one contains info on how to flash CWM Recovery while the other teaches you how to install TWRP Recovery.
ClockworkMod Recovery or CWM, is a custom Recovery that requires you to use its function by pressing the phone’s hardware buttons. The TWRP Recovery or Team Win Recovery Project, is more touch-based and you go through its menus by simply tapping on your phone’s screen. Both are featuring almost the same functions and tools. You can choose to install whichever you like the most.
The CWM Recovery can be installed using the ROM Manger application from Google’s Play Store.
TWRP Recovery can be easily flashed with GooManager app, which can also be found in Google’s Play Store.
Use the tutorials below and learn how to flash a custom Recovery for your smartphone. If you have troubles completing the instructions, then you should ask for more help in comments.
How to install CWM Recovery for Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 with ROM Manager:
- Open ROM Manager’s dedicated Play Store web site from here.
- Click the Install button and wait fro Rom Manager to install all the required files.
- When the install is finished, go to App drawer and launch ROM Manager tool.
- From the app’s main screen tap the ‘Recovery Setup’ section.
- Next, press ‘ClockworkMod Recovery’ option. It should appear under ‘Install or Update Recovery’ menu.
- Confirm the version of Sprint Galaxy S4 device. NOTE: you can also opt to install the touch-based variant of CWM Recovery.
- Now, click the Flash ClockworkMod Recovery area and the smartphone will being the installation. The new custom Recovery starts downloading and you need to wait until the process is complete.
- After the installation is complete you should close the app and power off the device.
- Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons simultaneously for the CWM Recovery mode to load.
These were the instructions you had to follow in order to flash a custom Recovery on your device using ROM Manager tool.
In case you don’t want to use CWM Recovery with your phone, then you can opt to flash the other custom Recovery from Team Win Recovery Project. Follow the steps listed below.
How to install TWRP Recovery for Sprint Galaxy S4 L720 using GooManager:
- Go to GooManager Play Store web page here.
- Install the application on your phone.
- Run the GooManager app on your Galaxy S4.
- When you’re shown the app’s main menu, press the ‘Menu’ capacitive button.
- Select now the ‘Install OpenRecoveryScript’ option that’s show in the GooManager drop-down list.
- Confirm the process.
- The smartphone will now download all the files it needs and automatically install the TWRP Recovery image.
- When the installation is finished, close the application.
- Power off your smartphone completely.
- Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons, all at the same time. Release the buttons when the Team Win logo appears and then wait for its main screen to load.
- That’s it, these were all the actions that you had to take in order to flash a brand new custom Recovery for your device.
I hope that you managed to flash all the required files and that now your Sprint Galaxy S4 is sporting the CWM or TWRP Recovery.
For any other questions, use the comments field at the end of this post.