Samsung Galaxy S4 T-Mobile variant has been rooted, but the root didn’t install any custom Recovery image. That is why I’ve created this post, use it to learn how to successfully flash the CWM or TWRP Recovery using two different apps from Google Play Store.
A custom Recovery will help you flash custom ROMs, themes, kernels and any other files that you can use to customize the UI and the functions of your operating system. Usually, you would have to use ODIN to push such recovery files. However, since this tutorial is destined for rooted T-Mobile Galaxy S4, then you can easily flash the recovery files using an app from Google Play Store.
Besides the custom ROM installation capabilities, a custom Recovery features also support for wiping data/ factory resetting the device or creating and restoring NANDROID backups of installed ROMs.
This post contains instructions on how you can install one of the following custom recoveries: CWM by ClockworkMod or TWRP by Team Win Project. CWM Recovery requires you to use the hardware buttons of your phone to interact, while the TWRP one is touch-based. Both will be doing what they’re built to do and help you flash custom ROMs and such.
How to install CWM Recovery for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 using ROM Manager from Google Play Store:
- Go to ROM Manager’s Play Store link here.
- Download and install the app onto your Galaxy S4.
- After the installation is complete, launch ROM Manager.
- Next, tap on ‘Recovery Setup’.
- Now tap on the ‘ClockworkMod Recovery’ text listed under Install or Update Recovery section.
- Confirm your phone model, T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 M919.
- Select whether or not you wish to use the Touch CWM Recovery or install the classic variant.
- Click on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery and the phone will start downloading the required files. NOTE: It would be best for you to use a WiFi connection.
- CWM Recovery will start flashing its files after the download is complete.
- That’s it, wait for the CWM Recovery to install.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to flash the CWM Recovery using ROM Manager for the T-Mobile variant of Galaxy S4.
If you want to use the TWRP variant, then you will have to follow the instructions listed in the tutorial below.
How to install TWRP Recovery for T-Mobile Galaxy S4 using GooManager from Google Play Store:
- Go to GooManager’s Play Store dedicated web page here.
- Download and install the app on your TMO SGS4.
- Launch GooManager application on your device.
- Press the Galaxy S4 ‘Menu’ capacitive button.
- Select ‘Install OpenRecoveryScript’ option from the drop-down menu.
- Confirm that you wish to install the TWRP Recovery image now.
- GooManager will download the required files and then flash them automatically.
- Complete the installation and that should be it.
I think that these were all the steps that you had to take in order to learn how to properly flash a custom Recovery for your device.
If you don’t know how to boot the CWM or TWRP Recovery, then you should use the instructions below:
- power off your smartphone completely.
- press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons at the same time.
- when the CWM or TWRP image appears on the screen release those buttons.
- use the internal options of the Recovery Mode to wipe data, factory reset, wipe cache, format system, install zips, create / restore NANDROID parts or any other task you want.
- to reboot the device into normal mode, select ‘Reboot’.
If you have any other questions please post them in the comments field below. Remember that these guides should work only with rooted T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4. You cannot flash custom Recoveries on devices that are currently sporting stock Android / Samsung firmware.