Samsung is rolling out the new Android 7.0 Nougat update in Europe to fix the Blueborne security bug found in the previous weeks.
These updates are rolled out over-the-air, but you can install the new firmware files using the instructions in this post. Remember that you have to be an advanced user, as we cannot blamed in case you end up bricking the phone.
If you do not wish to wait until Samsung releases the new update over-the-air in your region, then you should be checking the info below, as you will learn how to manually flash such firmware using ODIN app.
The Blueborne vulnerability has been discovered weeks ago and it makes your phone vulnerable to malware attacks. This can be done by hacking tools that are disguised as another Bluetooth device and then using such connection to take over your phone’s entire operating system. Blueborne “virus” can connect with your phone without the need of pairing the phone with another malicious app, and it can also by-pass “discoverable mode” from your Bluetooth settings.
You should upgrade your phone’s OS as fast as possible in order to avoid any risk of having your data stolen right from under your nose.
Check the following guidelines before starting the flashing process:
- use the tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy S6 G925F Edge models.
– the update listed below has been released in Europe for now, but you should be able to flash the files on any device as long as its model number is set to SM – G925F.
- don’t try to update other Samsung Galaxy models with the files found in this post.
- for the update process you will use the ODIN app, and this tool requires you to install the Samsung USB Drivers on your PC.
– also, you should enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
If you can’t find Developer Options, then go to Settings> About Device> Software Info and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
– return to Settings, find Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
- download and install Samsung USB Drivers from here.
- the new update can be flashed over rooted firmware, but you will see root access get lost after the installation is done.
– no custom Recovery installation will survive the update either.
- you can flash the new Android 7.0 Nougat update over a custom ROM, too, but you will have to Factory Reset the Galaxy S6 edge system partition after the install is done.
– the Factory Reset wipes clean the system partition, it remove the old custom ROM and it forces your smartphone to boot in normal mode.
– the Factory Reset won’t delete any data from internal storage, and all the steps you have to follow are listed at the end of the tutorial.
- if your phone runs 100% stock Android firmware, then you can continue straight to the next part of this post.
- check battery charge levels, make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before the device switches off.
- this guide has to be applied by advanced users, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone, nor in case you lose any important data files in the process.
- read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
Now that you’ve read all the above guideline you can get to the tutorial, and learn how to flash a brand new official Android 7.0 update to fix the security vulnerability.
If you don’t wish to manually install the update, then you can wait until Samsung pushes the firmware in your region. Also, you can go to Settings> Software Update> Download Updates manually. If a new file is ready to download, then you simply need to confirm the process and your Galaxy S6 edge phone will take care of the rest of the process by itself.
How to install Android 7.0 Nougat Blueborne Security Fix for Galaxy S6 Edge G925F:
- Download the Android 7.0 firmware file from here.
- When the download is done you can extract the archived contents from the file.
You should obtain the G925FXXU5EQH7 tar.md5 firmware update file.
Don’t extract the tar.md5 archive.
- Download Odin 3.12.3 zip from here. Extract and save the files on your PC.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot your Galaxy S6 edge G925F in Download Mode.
- Launch Odin tool on your computer.
- Connect the Galaxy S6 edge to PC via usb cable.
Wait for ODIN to detect the device and then continue to the next step.
– if the phone is not detected you need to reinstall the Samsung usb drivers.
- Go to ODIN main screen and click the AP button.
- Now, find and load the G925FXXU5EQH7 tar.md5 firmware update in Odin.
- Hit the START button when you’re ready to begin the Android 7.0 new update process.
– confirm process if asked, and don’t skip any steps.
- When installation is done you will see the PASS text shown by ODIN, and your phone will reboot in normal mode.
Unplug the phone from computer, then wait for the first boot process to complete.
Use your usual login data in order to regain control over your device once again.
These were the instructions you had to go over and learn how to flash the new Android 7.0 Blueborne security update for your Galaxy S6 edge G925F phone.
If the FAIL alert is displayed by the ODIN app, or in case any other error is shown by the computer, then you will be forced to try and repeat the whole tutorial more than once. If you repeat installation you have to make sure that you won’t skip any steps, and that your phone meets all requirements listed above the tutorial.
In case you are installing the update over a custom ROM, then read the info below.
If the PASS alert is shown by ODIN, but your Galaxy S6 edge phone enters in a continuous boot loop or it gets stuck at the Samsung boot animation for more than 20 minutes, then you will be forced to try Factory Reset the phone. Also, if you’ve installed the update over custom ROM, then the steps below will help your phone to boot in normal mode, too.
Here’s how to Factory Reset the device:
- power off the Galaxy S6 edge.
- boot it in Download Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- confirm process.
- reboot your smartphone in normal mode and you’re done.
If you need more help completing the tutorial, then you can tell us in comments below.
If installation fails please make sure that the ODIN app you’ve used is the one listed above, and that you have completed the file download successfully. Make sure to load all the update files and that you won’t skip any of the steps posted above.