Sony Xperia U is an interesting handset that has an appealing look, though its performances are not that high end as we might think, especially if we consider that the handset was released last year. Anyway because of the same reasons, its users might want to spice things up by improving the performances of their Xperia U devices. Well, for doing so, you must first learn how to install a custom recovery image on your phone and that’s exactly what we will be checking during the following lines. Therefore if you need to flash ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery on your Sony Xperia U then I recommend you to follow and apply the present step by step guide.
Of course before completing this tutorial you need to first unlock the bootloader of the Xperia U and root the same, as the CWM recovery tool can be installed only on an unchained device. For unlocking the bootloader you can click on the link from above, or you can use a general guide which will show you how to unlock the bootloader of any Sony Xperia device. Then, for the rooting process, you can search through our how to section and use one of our tutorials which will be displayed there. Of course, after that return here and resume the rest of the lines from below.
CWM recovery is a complex app designed especially for the Android platform and used for several operations like: backup and restore procedures, wiping, maintenance, optimization and customization tasks, update processes or installing .zip files from the SD card or from the internal storage memory. So, by flashing ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery on your Xperia U handset you will be able to perform all the mentioned operations for improving the performances of your Android based smartphone.
Of course, and as already mentioned, by using the CWM recovery tool you will also be able to update your Xperia U with an Jelly Bean based custom firmware, which is extremely important as we all know that there won’t be any future official updates released for this device. So, applying this tutorial isn’t an option for you. Now, for being sure that all the unpleasant situations are being avoided, you should first read and perform the pre requisites. I have explained the same during the next list, so before heading to the proper installation procedure, check the preparation tasks.
- First remember that you need to have a rooted smartphone with an unlocked bootloader; else you will not be able to install CWM recovery on your Xperia U.
- The warranty will get void, so if anything bad happens you will be by yourselves.
- That’s why you need to pay attention on the preset tutorial and make sure that you read all the lines from the same.
- For restoring the lost warranty you will have to revoke the root access and relock the bootloader; in order to do so you will have to downgrade the Xperia U to stock ROM and reset the flash counter.
- Then, and as usual when you are dealing with unofficial and risky operations, a backup is being required.
- You need to save all of your personal data, or else you will risk in losing the market apps, the contacts list, text messages, call logs and basically everything else that is being saved on the internal storage memory of your handset.
- You will have to use a computer or notebook where the installation procedure will be running.
- So, before starting the same on both computer and smartphone uninstall all the antivirus and security programs; these tools are usually interfering with our work.
- Also, charge the battery of your phone or else it might get turned off in the middle of the flashing process.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your Xperia U by going to “Menu -> Settings -> Developer options -> USB debugging.
- This method has been developed by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for the present tutorial.
- Make sure that you are completing this step by step guide only for installing the CWM recovery tool on the Sony Xperia U handset, or else you will risk in bricking your Android powered device.
How to Install ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery on Sony Xperia U
- Download the required file from here.
- Save it on your computer.
- Extract the same on the PC.
- You need to connect the Xperia U with the computer now, so plug the USB cord in.
- From your computer run the “RecoverX” executable file.
- From the Window that will be opened select your device (a dropdown menu should be displayed).
- Then, from the custom recovery list select “ClockworkMod recovery”.
- Click “next” on your computer.
- The installation process will begin; don’t press anything else while the process is running.
- In the end, you can safely unplug the USB cable and reboot your phone.
Congratulations you have managed to install ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery on your Sony Xperia U handset. Now, by using the same you can make a Nandroid backup and then update your phone with a custom ROM firmware (use this guide). Do share your impressions or possible issues with us by using the comments area and we will try to do our best in order to resolve the problems. Also, stay close as we will bring more tutorials suitable with your Xperia U smartphone during the following days.